removing black strip around tank

skriz

Reaction score
I wanted to remove the black strip that goes around the tank. Is this ok to do? I assume it is there for asthetic purposes only, but just wanted to make sure.

No, from what I understand its there to hold the tank together. They make rimless tanks, Ouling just got one, but rimless tanks are made of thicker glass than a comparable sized "rimmed" tank. I wouldn't remove the plastic trim, IMHO.

yeah dont do it your tank is to big for that your crazy if you do it but if you do good luck

Ya, the molding and center braces are there for a reason, leave them in tact!

Speaking of center braces, has anyone ever had any issues with the center brace and MH lighting?

The tank I bought from Flinster has a center brace, and I have a single MH 250 watt fixture. I'm experimenting with rock placement to keep the brace from casting a bad shadow, but wondered if the brace might melt eventually from being directly under the MH. I think I'll definately paint the brace white to keep heat to a minimum, as right now it is black and would retain much more heat....

Any thoughts?......

Hmmm, I have black silicone on hand, and a glass shop very nearby, I wonder if I should attempt this?

I'll pick Oulings brain on this later in the week........ Thanks Dawg

By just offseting the light by two or three inches off center, I could reduce the intensity off the light hitting the brace, and then through rock placement, hide the shadow somewhat that would be cast by the brace. I JUST got this light fixture, so I'm pretty much stuck with using what I got..

Thanks

thanks guys. not what I wanted to hear, but that's how it goes.

Dakota, the brace can be removed. there is a thread on RC with pics on how to do it. However, if you can just fiddle with the lighting and rock placement, that would be the way to go.

I have massive center braces made of 3/4" starphire, so you don't have it nearly as bad.

I took a good look at the black strip. I don't see how it is holding the together. It is not a solid piece all the way around the tank, so how does it brace? Each side of the tank has a seperate piece.

Back