Removing center brace

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
Thinking of removing or replacing the center brace on a 65gal. I was told one way to replace it with a peace of acrylic. Is there any safe way to remove it or would the best thing to do be replace it with acrylic.

I was told you could cut the brace with about an inch or so left in the tank and use plastic screws to attach a new brace made from acrylic. any other ideas?

yup, here is what ya do.

Fill the tank up, then clamp the top where the brace is.

Next cut off the brace, and yes leave a good inch or so.

Get a peice of 1/4" thick lexan(plexi will work but isnt as strong and may melt/yellow faster unter a halide) I would say about 2.5-3" wide.

Get at least 4, better to use 6 nylon nuts and bolts. Drill holes and attach your new brace.

Remove the clamp and your done.

Over the next few years should the brace melt or yellow a bit simply put the clamp back on and put a new strip in.

That sounds like it would work. I would never cut a center brace. Just leave it the way it is and work around it. Good luck.

I would like to remove mine too... Look at it.
DSC02802.jpg
alt="" />

How do you work around that with out buying another fixture?

Well Perry in your case. I would sell all that lighting and buy 2 luminarcs and put them in. They would spread the light around the brace. The luminbrights need to be up higher to act right.

The thought has crossed my mind to sell everything. I just wished I had a brain when I purchased the Lumenbright that putting it in the center of my hood would cause such an eye soar... Not many people notice it, only reefers, and of course me.

Back