Removing filter socks from sump

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Guys,
I have used filter socks on my sump as long as I can remember. I took down my Algae Turf Filter because I noticed my water clarity was not as I wanted it, even though I use GAC and cleaned the screens regularly. I originally thought I could not grow cheato because it would never grow under the 6700K CFs I was using (planted tank lights I had already), but the cheapo 23 watt 2700K CF screw in type bulbs from HD/Lowes seems to grow it really well, so I am back to a cheato refugium with a nice pod population. I've been trapping lots of pods in my filter socks, and have thought of removing the filter socks to let the pods get into the tank more.

So has anyone gone from from using filter socks to none, and what kind of effects did you see, if any, good or bad? Any effects on protein skimmer performance?

I assume there will be more detritus accumulating in the sump without the use of filter socks, but I have a wet dry to deal with that. I am hoping there will be more food avaialble to the corals.

One problem I encountered after initially removing the socks (this morning) was a lot more splashing in the sump, to the point of water droplets getting on the wall the sump sits against behind the tanks. I got around this by taking two of the 7" diameter mesh filter socks my sump uses and cutting the bottoms off of them, then heat sealing the cut ends to eliminate fraying. Works well and eliminates the spray I encountered initially with complete removal.

Hey Dave,
The socks are in between DT and sump - the pods should be in the sump/refugium...
I don't see much of a problem with some getting trapped in the socks - as you mentioned they catch a lot of gunk and prevent splashing.

LilRobb;514752 wrote: Hey Dave,
The socks are in between DT and sump - the pods should be in the sump/refugium...
I don't see much of a problem with some getting trapped in the socks - as you mentioned they catch a lot of gunk and prevent splashing.

I should have posted this in post 1. My refugium is plumbed separately from the sump. It tees into and from the drain/return line from my chalice tank, so water draining from it goes thru the filter socks initially, like all the tank water. The Fuge is not a part of the sump.

I have a larger sump (48") than the MRC (36") one you saw last time you were at the house. The MRC sump had the Fuge you described in it.

What about removing just one of them? You only trap half of what comes through. I am sure there are also other benificial organisms that are trapped as well but does it outweigh the grime and debris that is caught? I thought about this for a while last night after reading Reddings post.

right now i am trying to decide if i want to use filter socks. it seems that people have success with both.

I removed mine after a couple of years and have not really experienced or noticed anything different. I have had a major growth rate increase in my corals since but I am pretty sure that is related to the age of the colonies. I did notice I did not have to change them every other day lol.

I take my filter socks out about once a week and turn them insideout-pick the pods off-put them in the refug or feed them to my wrasses. I know its a lot more work but my tanks stay cleaner.

I do not use filter socks but have been thinking about putting one on because I have noticeable particles floating in my water. It is no where near as clear as I'd like. I do not have to worry about splash because I have a lid on the top of my sump. My skimmer (reef octopus) skims like crazy and gets all kinds of stinky nasty stuff out but still water is not what I'd like. I also thought about adding a canister filter to help. From what I was told the corals like all the little particles even if I don't so I should do nothing. That being said, my corals all are growing great and have excellent polyp extension.

Biggest difference I noticed was I don't have to clean the stupid things constantly... everything else didn't miss a beat.

I only use my filter socks (2 X 7") part time. To deal with the splashing I put a short pvc pipe (large diameter) that just reaches below the waterline of my sump. My refuge feeds into my sump at the return pumps so I get minimal pods in the socks.

Dave

Back