Removing large anemone from rock

jstrick930

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience removing a large anemone from a tank? moving the rock is not an option.

I froze some RODI water in an ice tray and put it on the foot to cause it discomfort. Then I used the back edge of a plastic spoon to finish moving the foot away from the rock. Worked like a charm. Three times...

jbadd99;1023753 wrote: I froze some RODI water in an ice tray and put it on the foot to cause it discomfort. Then I used the back edge of a plastic spoon to finish moving the foot away from the rock. Worked like a charm. Three times...

I might try that. I thought about the power head approach but I figured they would just enjoy it and dig in deeper.

i would break some of the rock around it with bone crushers and try to get your finger under it and move your finger around the foot gentle detaching from the rock.if you can do that it will let go.
i would not do the cold spoon or ice.

I'm wondering the same thing. While I've used the fingernail approach...no matter how careful you are, you risk ripping a foot. I'm liking the cold water/spoon suggestion.

Nem's are much more hardy then most people think they are. I've had 1 climb up my overflow and got ripped into 3 pieces, it looked like it was going to die but after I removed them and placed them in the back of my rocks they all removed and I ended up with 3. BRS even has a video showing you how to cut your nem into pieces. So a little tear at the foot won't hurt it.

I just use a smoothed out bamboo stick I made to remove mine.

Hnguyen;1023916 wrote: Nem's are much more hardy then most people think they are. I've had 1 climb up my overflow and got ripped into 3 pieces, it looked like it was going to die but after I removed them and placed them in the back of my rocks they all removed and I ended up with 3. BRS even has a video showing you how to cut your nem into pieces. So a little tear at the foot won't hurt it.

I just use a smoothed out bamboo stick I made to remove mine.

+1

Yup, I "won" the monthly CIPP contest with pics of my nem all torn up from riding the overflow, sitting in a filter dock and getting dumped in the sink... Recovered like a champ and is SO DARN BIG right now! I'm ready to remove it and cut it into 3, it's stinging everything!
I certainly don't want to kill/hurt it though!
Jeff, do you know anyone who lost a nem by tearing the foot?

If the rocks removable I've found hanging it upside down and touching its foot with frozen spoons will make it let go but you sometimes gotta work to get the spoon under the edge of the foot , but once you have a little of it up just bumping the bottom side of the foot with a freezing cold spoon makes it let go.

If the rocks removable I've found hanging it upside down and touching its foot with frozen spoons will make it let go but you sometimes gotta work to get the spoon under the edge of the foot , but once you have a little of it up just bumping the bottom side of the foot with a freezing cold spoon makes it let go.

Yes, but if you try this method it has to done while blaring the soundtrack to Frozen "Let it Go". Works every time.

;-)

If possible, put a small rock on top of the foot. it won't have a choice but to move onto the smaller rock. I've done this three times with 100% success.

Sewer Urchin;1023928 wrote: Yes, but if you try this method it has to done while blaring the soundtrack to Frozen "Let it Go". Works every time.

;-)

you only found that out cause zoe and charlie were blasting it while you were trying to work didnt you? if not then we might need to get you some help

Declanisadog;1023933 wrote: If possible, put a small rock on top of the foot. it won't have a choice but to move onto the smaller rock. I've done this three times with 100% success.

do you mean put a small rock onto the foot? should I put a rock next to it to move to or will it try to attach to the rock I put on it?

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!!

-Jonathan

Every time I've needed to get one off a rock, I got a short Tupperware container filled it will tank water and hung the nem upside down with the rock sitting on the container. He stretched out and naturally wanted to drop back into the water. Worked like charm for me.

Camellia;1023918 wrote: +1

Yup, I "won" the monthly CIPP contest with pics of my nem all torn up from riding the overflow, sitting in a filter dock and getting dumped in the sink... Recovered like a champ and is SO DARN BIG right now! I'm ready to remove it and cut it into 3, it's stinging everything!
I certainly don't want to kill/hurt it though!
Jeff, do you know anyone who lost a nem by tearing the foot?

I have seen some die from a torn foot but it's usually carpets.

jstrick930;1023943 wrote: do you mean put a small rock onto the foot? should I put a rock next to it to move to or will it try to attach to the rock I put on it?

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!!

-Jonathan

I mean on it where it's bothered by it and it has no choice but to move onto it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My monsters on a 15 pound rock that I no longer want in the tank. I'm going to take out the Rock (& nem) put it in a large tub of water and hold it upside down above water (as stated above) and let it fall. It will, no doubt!
Then it's going to become two and if I have the guts (and it's guts look good) it's going to become four.

BTW
It's a BEAUTIFUL RBTA! Prettiest I've seen! I'm looking to trade for a different type of beautiful nem! Any interest? PM me!

Back