Removing/replacing braces

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing the two black plastic top braces on my 6 foot 125 gallon tank and replacing them with clear acrylic or glass. The idea is to eliminate the shadow from the braces.

If I used acrylic, I'd cut the plastic brace, leaving 1.5" or so on either side. I'd drill 4 holes each end of the new brace, and use nylon bolts to bolt the acrylic the black plastic. Question here, could I use Weld-on #16 to bond the acrylic to the black plastic? Would that be enough strength even without the bolts?

If I did glass, I'd replace the black plastic braces with pieces of glass 18" x roughly 4". Question here, would the 4" at either end siliconed to the front and back glass be strong enough to perform the bracing function or should I go wider?

... like... an extra fun bad idea?

too risky for my tastes, but good luck! I'd definitely call some of the tank manufacturers and get their thoughts before attempting this.

Ive done this on a few 65 and 70g tanks. Get some 2x4's and a few clamps(i would recommend 4 of them, one on each side of the two braces you want to cut) And do just like you said, cut the braces leaving 1-1.5" to bolt the acrylic to. Make sure the holes you drill are as close to the screw size as possible to eliminate any play as small deflections can cause the glass to break.

Weld on will not bond acrylic to plastic, go ahead and bolt it. If you feel the need to use some kind of glue, use household GOOP.

If you are going to go glass, you may as well remove the whole top and do a euro brace.

EDIT: with the acrylic you actually want to do it with the tank full as the tank is tensioned. Thats why those braces are floppy when the tank is empty and tight when its full.

Or you could talk to Chris about installing euro-bracing...with the proper clamping, I'm sure he could pull it off.

db366;647966 wrote: Yea but your not superman and Chris is... :)

good thing.. it'll come in handy when he's at work and the wife calls to tell him that there's 2" of water on the floor..

Rbredding;647969 wrote: good thing.. it'll come in handy when he's at work and the wife calls to tell him that there's 2" of water on the floor..

Lol true. Im sorry. Something like that id get done or just leave.

MorganAtlanta;648209 wrote: You guys have no sense of adventure.
sure I do... but I'm a calculated risk kinda guy...

I calculate that any risk that has to do with water inside my house is not worth it..

Back