Removing Sandbed

jeffandkelly

Market
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the sandbed in a nano tank?

I went with black sand and I absolutely cant stand it. I would like to either replace it or just do barebottom.

Go bare bottom and you'll love it! Just siphon it out with water changes, safest way to go about it. Depending on hw much you have it may take a couple of water changes, just spread them out over a week or two.

Also still working on your list...

I suppose removing a sandbed is like anything else in this hobby...do it slow. I think it would take a few water changes but if you find yourself getting a lot of it out on the first water change, maybe divide it's removal up over a few to give everything time to adjust. Any chance your rock work is already on the bottom glass? If not, pay attention to any potential shifting rocks. I had a rock come loose and it hit my front glass with enough force that I thought for sure it would have cracked. Thankfully it didn't but it's certainly something to be aware of when removing the sand.

I suppose removing a sandbed is like anything else in this hobby...do it slow. I think it would take a few water changes but if you find yourself getting a lot of it out on the first water change, maybe divide it's removal up over a few to give everything time to adjust. Any chance your rock work is already on the bottom glass? If not, pay attention to any potential shifting rocks. I had a rock come loose and it hit my front glass with enough force that I thought for sure it would have cracked. Thankfully it didn't but it's certainly something to be aware of when removing the sand.

Yes I added rock prior to sand so I should not have a shift. Thank goodness!!!

I'm wanting to go barebottom in my 150. I've decided over the next two months to pull the sand out during water changes. Slowly overtime to avoid any issues with dirty sand

I vacuum my sandbed at every water change and in about two years my tanks all end up almost bare. I prefer almost no sand but my gobies and pistol shrimp really like it when I have it so every few years I add a bit for them to play with.

Back