Removing Trim and Adding Euro Brace

tcampbell23

Market
Reaction score
I'm moving here in a few weeks and the tank I purchased comes with a stand but no canopy. It would be really hard to build a matching canopy so I thought about going open top but the new tank has a trim.

Would it be risky to remove the trim and get a glass shop to cut some pieces to use for a EuroBrace?

The tank is a 5 foot 120gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the top brace on that tank is made to hold the side panels together or take some of the pressure of the panels, that is a lot of water pressure to take the risk with.
On a small tank i might take the chance but not on something that big, plus knowing that tank would be getting a trim on the top when it was being built, i don't think that they would have cared if the top of the glass was finished or even.
i would say use the tank for what and how it was made for just to be safe.

I have always gotten mixed answers from tank manufacturers on whether or not the brace is part of the tank's structural integrity. Definitely the safe answer is just don't do it. 120 gallons of water in your home is not worth even taking the slightest risk.

Marlon is also correct in that the glass finish under the brace might be really messy. As they don't take the time to make nice beveled edges or clean it up much at all since the brace is just going to cover, it would be a waste of time for them.

Another thing to considered is that most major tank manufacturers offer lifetime warranty on the seams and silicone work as long as the tank is on manufacturer approved furniture. This warranty does transfer over when buying a used tank. Once you pull the brace off, the warranty will be instantly void.

Jakub

I've done it on a 75. The glass underneath is not pretty not terrible, but not the clean finish that makes a rimless tank shine. As said before the center brace is always a point of conflict for bracing and I will say my Marineland 150 had the center brace crack and break. The tank bowed about 2 inches and looked like a bowfront.....luckily it held until they warrantied the tank with a replacement. I used large clamps for security. NOT FUN...

Good call on leaving it.

Back