Repairing lighting fixture support. See pic.

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on mending ABS. Fortunately, it's not cracked all of the way and the other 3 supports are strong enough to support the fixture. I should have never placed the fixture on the floor where I could step on it. Luckily is was just one support.:doh:

Either you didn't attach a pic or I just can't see it.

There are some epoxies that stick to ABS, and sometimes you can find a guy who owns a plastic welder (cough, cough)...

cr500_af;431591 wrote: There are some epoxies that stick to ABS, and sometimes you can find a guy who owns a plastic welder (cough, cough)...
Can ABS be welded? I know crosslink can't

johnr2604;431595 wrote: Can ABS be welded? I know crosslink can't

Yeah, I've welded a few pieces of it. Just gotta have ABS filler rods.

I'd say either check to see if you can order replacement parts, or stick a nice glob of Gorilla Glue in there. That oughta do the trick!

I'd wrap it in a single layer of fiberglass with an epoxy binder - it'd be stronger than the original.

I love it! I bought it from Jenn - very fairly priced (her price was better than all mail order prices). It's a very good quality product. You are welcome to come by and check it out. Although, be warned, my reef tank (2 mos old) will underwhelm you. However, my two goldens retrievers won't! They usually grab a leg each....should put it on Youtube. LOL

Tony_Caliente;431728 wrote: I love it! I bought it from Jenn - very fairly priced (her price was better than all mail order prices). It's a very good quality product. You are welcome to come by and check it out. Although, be warned, my reef tank (2 mos old) will underwhelm you. However, my two goldens retrievers won't! They usually grab a leg each....should put it on Youtube. LOL

2 Goldens and a reef tank too!!! You must be my Dopplegangor!!! We actually have a Chocolate lab too at the moment that we are fostering, while his mommy is deployed in Afghanistan. So right now we got 2 Goldens, 1 Chocolate, 1 Mutt, and 2 cats...EIEIO!

http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=128&cntnt01returnid=15">http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=128&cntnt01returnid=15</a>

I have also been eyeballing that fixture...what are your impressions of the reflectors? I have really been interested in hearing what club members had to say about it. I am also wondering if they have some kind of kit that can connect 2 of the 36" fixtures into one long 72" fixture...

CJ

Why dont you ask Jenn about getting you another leg for that? Or directly contact them here: http://www.wave-point.com/Home.html">http://www.wave-point.com/Home.html</a>

Most companies are very helpful. I've even had them send me replacement stuff for free when I told them I broke it.

I would just superglue it until you can get a replacement.
Dave

We have this accelerator for super glue here at the shop. You can hear the plastics melting together. It's almost instant. We use it A LOT. I'd look into that first.

Thank you. I will see what I coudl find at HD. If nothing looks good, I wil wait. No wonder I couldn't the url, I was looking under new wave, not wave point.

I like the lights and the reflector is well made. In fact, I emailed wave ppint and they are sending me the legs for free. They are made of ABS by the way. So, it looks like they stand by their products. I had MH abd actibics 20 years ago. I do miss the yellow light and maybe one has less coral keeping options without them. But there is also less heat and less electricity.

WI just purchased and used Loctite Super Glue for all plastics. It has an activator and glue. You apply the activator, let dry for 30 seconds, then the glue. Is taht what you are talking about? Otherwise, exactly what is it that you use, please. BTW, wave-point is sending me the leg for free. I only asked them what the legs are made out of (ABS) and they volunteered to ship replacement to me. I still want to have something handy to repair ABS.

Back