replacement sponge for MRC calcium reactor

I took the sponges out of my calcium reactors. I feel like they just hamper flow once they get clogged up. Mine is working fine now without it. I do get a tiny bit of sediment on the bottom but its not a big deal.

They are very useful if you are running fine media which some people choose to do. If you're running the larger pieces then its really not that important in my opinion.

Please excuse my ignorance as I will be setting up my first cal reactor, what’s the purpose of the sponge? (Protect the pump..?)

With the MRC reactor, the flow is handled via the spray-bar, so the pad won't interfere with flow dynamics. If you're using the better fine media, you need it to keep the media out of the pump. If you're using coarse media, you don't necessarily need the media pads. You will get sediment that'll drop below the pedestal and that does have the potential to enter the pump. So, you will want to keep an eye on it for sure.

The first chamber is the one where you want to maintain the ph. I keep mine at 6.5. If it gets too low the media would melt. Too high and it won't dissolve any media. 6.5 can be considered low but I need it that low to dissolve the magnesium media more effectively. The second chamber is just to help absorb the latent acidity coming out of the first chamber and have the effluent be at a higher ph as it enters your system. Personally I use 2 secondary chambers. After it leaves my secondary chamber it goes to another secondary chamber that's in the sump. The final effluent that leaves the reactor system is around 7.9 or so, which is better than the 6.5 coming out of the first chamber. In addition, the second chamber typically has flow going from bottom to top, the effluent exits the second chamber near where the ph probe would be installed. This ph reading would not be indicative of the ph in the primary chamber since it has already been raised by the media in the secondary chamber. This would make it hard to dial in and the ph would vary depending on how much media you have left in the secondary chamber.

1555600810801.png

Back