Replacing floor

mrflameangel

Market
Reaction score
Ok time has come that I have to replace the carpet my tank is sitting on. This is not going to be an easy job. I am going from carpet to wood. I am looking for any idea or tricks you all might know of on how to transfer the tank to the wood.

Here is my thought. Rip up the carpet and pad all the way around the tank, leaving 3 to 4ft around the tank (enough to grab and pull with several men). Lay the wood up to about a foot of the tank. Drain half to 3/4 of the water out of the tank. But here is the messy part. Not sure how to get the carpet to slid off the pad.

Now that would be in the perfect world. I would really hate to break it all down but I'm thinking that is what I'm gonna have to do. Has anyone had to do this before? If so could you share you experience with me?

How long do you plan to be there?

You can always not move it and depending on the wood you are laying you could turn some perpendicular to trimm out the stand and butt the wood against it. And them make sure you save enough so if you were to move later you can pull some of the wood up on the floor and run the wood lengths to the wall. There is going to be a color change no matter what you do

If you do anything other than emptying the tank you could stress the glass and crack the tank.walls

I no that I would not feel comfy doing anything other than breaking it down all the way if I were going to move it. The chances of tipping it over in the process are just to high for my liking.

Dont you have a 180g tank? If so I dont think you will be able to slide it unless you have a semi truck at your leisure!

We are prepping the house to sell hopefully around the end of the year. We plan on building and I know the house would never sell with this carpet.

I have thought of leAving the tank and replace up to it and then once I move replace the rest. But when I have the house on the market and people come in to see it they will see the unfinished floor. So I think that is out of the question. Trust me I have put a lot of thought into that one.

Rich I'm with you on that. I was living I'm my fantasy world.

I think the plan will be this.

Day 1: cut carpet out up to the tank. Prep floor, base boards and door jams. Lay floor up to the tank.

Day 2: break tank down. Placing all rock in brutes with water and circulation. Corals in another tank and fish in a stock tank with cover. Move tank finish floor under the tank. Put everything back in place. Using most of the same water except maybe a 25% water change.

Day 3. Finish trim and and replace door jams.

Think it's within reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LegalReefer;823973 wrote: Dont you have a 180g tank? If so I dont think you will be able to slide it unless you have a semi truck at your leisure!

I'm built like a semi. 5'7 and 160. That should do it right? Lol

back to what i said but. cut the carpet about 4 to 5" longer than the stand. i can hand bind or hot glue a binder around the carpet to keep it from fraying. this will make it LQQK like it's sitting on a rug. replace up to the tank or there about under the rug part. keep enough to finish the floor when you move the tank later when you sell the house. i would not break it down and move it just to replace what i could not see unless i were to upgrade things while reinstalling.

eagle9252;823981 wrote: back to what i said but. cut the carpet about 4 to 5" longer than the stand. i can hand bind or hot glue a binder around the carpet to keep it from fraying. this will make it LQQK like it's sitting on a rug. replace up to the tank or there about under the rug part. keep enough to finish the floor when you move the tank later when you sell the house. i would not break it down and move it just to replace what i could not see unless i were to upgrade things while reinstalling.

That's not a bad idea. Didn't think about that

MrFlameangel;823975 wrote: We are prepping the house to sell hopefully around the end of the year. We plan on building and I know the house would never sell with this carpet.

I have thought of leAving the tank and replace up to it and then once I move replace the rest. But when I have the house on the market and people come in to see it they will see the unfinished floor. So I think that is out of the question. Trust me I have put a lot of thought into that one.

Rich I'm with you on that. I was living I'm my fantasy world.

I think the plan will be this.

Day 1: cut carpet out up to the tank. Prep floor, base boards and door jams. Lay floor up to the tank.

Day 2: break tank down. Placing all rock in brutes with water and circulation. Corals in another tank and fish in a stock tank with cover. Move tank finish floor under the tank. Put everything back in place. Using most of the same water except maybe a 25% water change.

Day 3. Finish trim and and replace door jams.

Think it's within reason?

This would be my plan with a slight modivication. I would start by breaking the tank down so that all the holding tanks are sitting on the old carpet instead of the new floor. Once the tank is moved, start laying the floor where the tank will sit. Once you are a few feet past the limits of the tank, stop and set the tank back up. Once the tank is back up and running you can finish the floor. This eliminates the possibillity of damage to the new floor except where the tank sits.

Edit: Wait, I have a better plan. Tell the wife you are not moving out of the house and they will have to carry you out feet first. hehehehehehe

MrFlameangel;823975 wrote: We are prepping the house to sell hopefully around the end of the year.

Oh and by the way, you better get a move one because tomorrow is the end of the year. :lol2:

rdnelson99;823998 wrote: Oh and by the way, you better get a move one because tomorrow is the end of the year. :lol2:

Lol I wish it was that quick. I can't wait to get out of the city and get out in the backwoods. The floor is about the only thing I have left as far as major projects.

MrFlameangel;823985 wrote: That's not a bad idea. Didn't think about that

just ask a fat guy for shortcuts... he will have plenty.... sorry, bowfronts dont count

give me a call when you are thinking to pull/push I can help and I might be able to convince a guy that i sold a piece of rock and some cheto

Alright I will keep that in mind. It's gonna be a big job and I'm not looking forward to it.

Two things; 1. Most Realtors will tell you to remove the tank entirely when selling a house. Very few potential buyers get excited when they see a "fish tank". 2. Move it to another room or to the basement then finish the room it's in. This way you only deal with it once. This is safer for you and the contents.

Back