Replacing my goby's mate -- will they fight?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I would really like to replace the female golden head sleeper goby that jumped. The male is now in hiding most of the time -- compared to when he had his mate -- they played in the current most of the day.

What do you think the probability is that adding a female will create a fight? I feel so sorry for him -- isn't it funny how we tend to impute our feelings to our fish -- anyone else do that -- or just me?

-geno

don't know about the gobys, but I, too impute my feelings to my fish.

Research and see what is generally recommended. This fish should be housed one per tank unless you have a mated pair. If those two were truly mated, it's going to be tuff to replace the lost one. You might want to just give this one a chance to adjust to being a loner, or give him up and buy a mated pair.

I don't know anything about http://www.aquacon.com/blennies_saltwaterfish.html">Aquatic Connection</a> and I'm not endorsing this supplier (I just did a quick google and it was the first hit), but they <u>do</u> advertise mated pairs. Other places might as well or you could get a LFS to keep a lookout for a pair.

[IMG]http://www.aquacon.com/images/goldenheadsleeper.jpg alt="" />

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Description: </span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #000000;">The Golden Head Sleeper Goby, is known by the Pennant Glider, Yellowheaded or Golden Head Sleeper, or Blueband, Bluestreak, or Yellowheaded Sleeper Goby. Its head is yellow-gold with a sapphire-blue stripe below the eyes, and the rest of the body is off-white. </span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Recommended Tank :</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #000000;">To be successfully cared for, it should be housed in a 50 gallon or larger aquarium with live sand as the substrate, and an attached populated refugium. </span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Feeding and Diet:</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #000000;">It feeds off the bottom as it sifts through the sand eating mouthfuls of substrate and the food that lives within the sand, keeping the substrate well oxygenated. The Sleeper Gold Head Goby feeds on a variety of live and frozen brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, live black worms, and prepared foods for carnivores, and should be fed frequently. </span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">General Comments:</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #000000;"> May sometimes attempt to jump out., so we suggest a tank with a hood. It rarely will become aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair. </span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Level of Care: </span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;">Moderate</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Reef Compatibility</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #000000;">:Good Reef Compatability</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Approximate Purchase Size:</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 1-2px;"><span style="color: #000000;"> 2" to 3"</span></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 1+1px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">$29.99</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 1-1px;"><span style="color: #000000;"></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 1-1px;"><span style="color: #000000;">A few</span></span><span style="font-size: 1-1px;"><span style="color: #000000;">Mated Pairs available</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 1+1px;"><span style="color: #ff0000;">$74.99</span></span>

This is all I could find.
viewtopic.php

Now that's a link -- just not exactly sure what to conclude.

The male is out a bit more now -- perhaps he'll do fine all alone.

I guess the options are as follows:

1. Don't get another goby -- let him make it on his own (really no risk)
2. Try another female and hope they get along well
3. Try another female and watch him chase her all over the tank

Really -- why am I trying to buy another one -- for him or me? ;)

I've just never seen these sold as *males* or *females*

Good luck and please keep us posted.

:)

Hello Linda,

I'm not really sure I know either -- they were sold as a pair and I have been making the assumption that the one with the bright yellow head was the male (following the logic in the animal kingdom where the male is always the most attractive -- and yes, I know that does not hold up among us!!:roll:)

It will be the weekend of May 3rd before I make another goby purchase -- assuming I do. I'll do more research before making my final decision.

I really appreciate your interest and your kind replies to my posts.

-gene

Back