Requiem for Two Corals

curator

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">I have suffered my first loss of corals, two of them…and I don’t necessarily think their deaths are related. I’ve had an open brain coral for about a month and it has succumbed. One of my pulsing xenias seems to be melting away. Testing reveals all my levels to be within appropriate range; does anyone have suggestions about what might have caused their demise? Also, should I remove the skeleton of the open brain, and the disintegrating xenia?</span></span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">As always – thanks very much!</span></span></span>

Xenia dying??? What are your parameters testing?? Amm., trites, trates, cal., alk., etc.?? What size tank /lights do you have?? Where are corals placed at in tank?? What is your water turnover??

could they be close to other corals that are stinging them? my hammer and a red mushroom were too close and the hammer "melted." Same effect on the mushroom or fox coral when the kenya touched it. now i have learned what stings what and place them all accordingly

As I mentioned, all my parameters are within normal limits. It is possible that the xenia could have been the victim of a nearby coral, however, I don't think that is the cause of the open brain's death.

Curator;120738 wrote: As I mentioned, all my parameters are within normal limits. It is possible that the xenia could have been the victim of a nearby coral, however, I don't think that is the cause of the open brain's death.

What kind of parameters are you reading? pH, alkalinity, magnesium? What kind of lighting do you have, do you have enough current, etc..Was the death a RTN or STN on the brain. There are a lot of factors involved.

What is RTN and STN? It is possible that the brain wasn'r getting enought food. I was trying every few days, but it didn't always eat...which I thing began when it started to decline.

Curator;120738 wrote: As I mentioned, all my parameters are within normal limits. It is possible that the xenia could have been the victim of a nearby coral, however, I don't think that is the cause of the open brain's death.

defind normal limits.... normal could mean a lots of thing to different people.

Light flow and placement does matter.

Xenia is sensitive to PH levels, so keep an eye on that. Whenever I notice my xenia is unhappy, that's the first thing I check.

http://www.reefland.com/forum/reef-aquariums/3283-rapid-tissue-necrosis-rtn.html">RTN</a> = rapid tissue necrosis
STN = slow tissue necrosis

Someone else with more knowledge could advise. Believe necrosis is easily recognizeable though, as you'd see areas of die-off or rotting.

I'm at work and don't have the readings with me, but these are readings that everyone has said are good.

Xenia also dislikes clean water and isn't particularly fond of high flow environments... I pretty much have resigned to the fact that I can't keep xenia in my tank for long periods.

Back