Residential fire sprinkler?

Lol No actually with my dust collection system . Since my shop is underneath I thought it would be wise to at least place a sprinkler head over it . With so much fine dust it can smolder for hours before igniting. While I try to clean it everyday there are times I do not and that would be the one time. Just trying to be a little more cautious. OLD AGE I guess?

I've seen very tiny Ansul systems you could buy? it's a self contained system the kind that shoots the white powder out. usually put over stoves

It's a little more complicated than putting in a "T", some pipe and a head. In simple terms, the heads (valves) work off of pressure, so you need to be able to keep the system pressurized at a reasonably stable level. It can be done, but do your research. I've spent a lot of money as a result of bad sprinkler systems. It is also something you wouldn't want to do without having it inspected and those folks are a whole other story.

have never LQQKed into it but was told years ago that it was a separate system and it was teed off at the main. we use Lewis fire protection at work. i personally like the halon systems as it has no water . it removes all of the oxygen in the air.

eagle9252;820767 wrote: have never LQQKed into it but was told years ago that it was a separate system and it was teed off at the main. we use Lewis fire protection at work. i personally like the halon systems as it has no water . it removes all of the oxygen in the air.

Halon has been discontinued except in specific application. Because it removes the oxygen, I would not recommend it for a home application. If it were used, code requires that the room be completely air tight. Ansel is a decent option but in my opinion, a good quality Heat Detector is the best best. You don't want to use a Smoke Detector in this application. There are a couple types of heat detectors. I would assume that you would want to go with a "Rate of Rise" because the space is unconditioned. The rate of rise triggers if the temperature climbs quickly. Because it is in a room that is not normally occupied, you would want it to trigger a remote alarm so you would hear it if you were sleeping.

Also be sure to let the fire crew know where your fire department connection, fdc is located. Residential is typically a 1.5" connection. Pump crews job is to maintain the system pressure

Ive seen it done but Im not sure who does residential installs.

Shouldnt be to hard to do though, just make sure they use metal piping and install and main shutoff valve bare minimum.

I keep the shop fairly clean .I am mainly concerned with the area just the over dust collector bags So it shouldn't be too complicated. Definitely need more detectors for sure.

Back