Resin sand bed

salty

Market
Reaction score
Hey!

My 10 gallon has no sand right now, but the bare look isn't the best. I heard some people using a mix of aquarium-safe resin and sand to put into the bottom of a tank. The best of both worlds. I'm worried the resin will be too visible on the tank, and there may be some air bubbles trapped in. Maybe a safe spray adhesive, or a thin layer of sand onto some epoxy?

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks :)

If the "sand" doesnt move it will grow algae.  If youre lucky coralin, or some other encrusting coral.

How it looks is individual taste, my opinion is bare bottom is easy to keep clean, looks good and less maintenance.  If you have a sand bed you must take action to keep it clean otherwise its a time bomb just waiting to go off (not if but when). I keep a couple 20-40 lb rocks in my tank and listing them out to clean underneath was no longer an option.  I leave about 3/8" - 1/2" of space under my rocks and just turn up the flow to remove anything that settles.

Coraline will eventually grow and look great.  I know this can be a touchy subject with folks committed to both sides bare bottom or sandbeds but this is my opinion...

I looked into the resin beds when I restarted some things 3-4 years ago. I decided against it because of being afraid water would get underneath along with plenty of other macro nasties and create a plenum. I ended up going with a bare bottom, but ultimately added sand:) I wanted wrasses and things that... well like sand :)

Back