Retrofit Kit ?

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
I am working on my new setup and have been looking at MH Retrofit Kits on Hellolights.com. My questions is that all of the kits come with a warning
<span style="color: #ff0000;">* <u>Caution</u>: This retrofit/ballast kit must be housed in an area free of moisture, behind glass. Make sure the bulb(s) and socket(s) are sealed off from any moisture, humidity or evaporation when mounted over your aquarium. Mount ballast(s) away from moisture, humidity or evaporation. Failure to do so will void any and all warranty, and could be a potential hazard.</span>
How do I go about protecting these if I am using it an canopy over an open top aquarium? Thanks.
<span style="color: #ff0000;"></span>

<span style="color: black;">They say that to cover there a$$. Just make sure you mount everything away from possible floods (don&#8217;t lay a ballast on the floor of your stand). And make sure you have sufficient space between the water and your bulbs.</span>

<span style="color: black;">A good place to mount your ballast is on the back of the canopy if you have one, or somewhere high in the stand. Try to have the lights at LEAST 6" off the water (that is still VERY close IMO). </span>

<span style="color: black;">Look around at other peoples setups on the site you will find some real safety hazards! :p</span>

i had tempered glass cut to prevent moisture but i stopped using it because of how difficult it is to keep clean. moving a 36" piece of glass isn't as easy as one might imagine.

either way, i always have condensation around the MH wiring. i doubled up with electrical tape and the last time i took the hood apart to check out all the connections, i didn't see any signs of degradation or rust.

Thanks yall. This is what I thought after looking through everyones tank build threads and seeing people using like kits, but the little warning label caught my eye.

I am thinking about ordering this
index.asp

I have that same reflectors. What I like about it, is that it is not too big so you can put them inside the canopy and still a lot of rooms. Its only 3 inches in height.

The width also works for the amount of space I have available. How is the light spread with the reflector?

I am about to order the retro kit for my 29g (18" tall) and wanted to get everyones feedback on if I should go with th
index.asp

Most likely you'll have significant heat issues with a 250W on a 29. You can easily keep clams and sps under t5 lighting.

Back