Return line splashing

huskerreefatl

Market
Reaction score
Hey,
So when I shut down my tank to feed my fish each morning and then restart it, the return blows all of the air out and it splashes a lot of water. Do you have this? Is there a way to prevent it? Maybe by putting a one way valve in the return line? Thoughts?

I'm guessing when you shut down the sump fills up?
if so it would be a good idea to put a check valve on the return line which will prevent both those issues.

The sump does but I have plenty of room. I don't mind the sump filling but the splash hits my light sometimes. Can crud and Ca affect the check valve down the road?

over time the saltwater will affect the check valve / rubber / plastic but it'll take a long time, if you put one in that has unions on both sides, it can be changed out or cleaned as needs be.
having the water level in the sump stay at the same level, will prevent the skimmer from over acting when you shut down or prevent having to turn the skimmer off.

Good idea. I think that i will add one. I have the RKE and the skimmer is on a delayed start coming out of standby so the sump is back to operating height before it turns back on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

But if there is a power outage it would go crazy and this would prevent that. ...doing it.

huskerreefatl;1062114 wrote: Good idea. I think that i will add one. I have the RKE and the skimmer is on a delayed start coming out of standby so the sump is back to operating height before it turns back on

smart, just the way it needs to be done.
I have DC rampable pumps on my tank so they start slow mad ramp up which pushes the water back up slowly and there for no bubbles.

Dang. That is nice. I love my eheim 1262 though. It is super quite and pumps a lot of water but it comes on at full blast

I always have my return just under the water surface.

I always drill a syphon break so the rerun line doesn't syphon all the way down.

Never had to use any kind of check valve on a return line

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Mine is also just under and the syphon break actually skims the surface but the water still drains down a bit and since i have my main drain 6 inches below my emergency more water goes to the sump. There is enough air in the return line and force coming back on that it really bubbles and splashes.

There's no need to shut a tank down to feed the fish.

I've seen a few people forget to fire it back up...phone rings, somebody comes to the door...

That never ends well.

Just sayin'.

Jenn

I don't want it all going on the overflow. I shut the system down and no powerheads on. I use rod's and want it to feed the fish and corals. About 10 minutes into the 30 minute standby the powerhead comes back on to circulate the floaters and let the fish finish it off then the return kicks is at the 30 minute mark and the skimmer kicks in 3 minutes later. It is all automated but with my new sump and plumbing, the return splashes. ..i will add a check valve to prevent to much air in the return line.

A check valve will also prevent back-siphon, so you can aim your return pipe a bit lower into the tank to prevent the splash on restart. It's still going to kick a bit. Most folks keep that return close to the surface for agitation, but also to mitigate risk of a sump overflow if it back-siphons.

Check valve in working order will prevent a back siphon so you can be a bit more adventurous with where that return pipe sits.

Jenn

Good point. Mine is currently set up for surface agitation but i will play with it a bit after altering the return line.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1062106 wrote: I'm guessing when you shut down the sump fills up?
if so it would be a good idea to put a check valve on the return line which will prevent both those issues.
I added the check valve and solvent unions on both sides for easy removal and it works great..... No more splashing from the air coming out when starting the return back up. The downside I made a mess doing it. I had disconnected the return line above my ball valve just above my return pump and had the RKE in standby and the system turned back on. There was a fountain coming out of my return pump under my tank.... Dang it. I shut it off pretty quickly but it still made a mess. Another lesson learned..... Turn ball valve off on the return pump when the line is disconnected.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

well one issue solved now you got another to work on.
what would you do with yourself if you had nothing to do?!

Back