Return pump advice needed...please!

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Need some advice from the ARC experts on an external return pump..</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">My IWAKI pump seems to be dying. I need to find a replacement ASAP. This pump does not appear to have enough “coconuts” for my future plans anyway.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I like what I read about Reeflo pumps and I am looking at one of these</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">SNAPPER (2300-2600 gph)</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">DART (3600 gph)</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The RC calculator does not have Reeflo pumps listed and I am having a tough time figuring out how much head resistance I really have here.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Here is my <u>current</u> scenario.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">My 175 drains into a Rubbermaid sump through the wall behind the tank.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">My external pump returns the water back through… and up the wall where it “tees” off to dual overflows returns.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Vertical pressure. About 5’</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Overall horizontal pipe. 10’</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">90d elbows -5</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Gate vales – 2 (does this really mater?)</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ball Valves -1 (does this really mater?)</span></span>

<u><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Immediate Future plans.</span></span></u>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Refugium above my sump</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Add…</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Vertical pressure -5’</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">90d elbows -2 more</span></span>

<u><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Probable future plans</span></span></u>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Chiller (I already bought it…hope I don’t need it…but I think I will)</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Add…</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Vertical pressure -5’</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">90d elbows- maybe a couple more.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Any thoughts on the ideal pump to push all this water around? </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Or how much head resistance I really have here?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I know Reeflo pumps can be dialed back if needed…but I don’t like the thought of that. Seems like it would burn it up.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks!!!!</span></span>

Reeflo pumps are completely safe to throttle back. How much of a turnover are you looking for? You don't want too much flow through your sump as it really defeats the purpose of a sump.

Skriz;451063 wrote: Reeflo pumps are completely safe to throttle back. How much of a turnover are you looking for? You don't want too much flow through your sump as it really defeats the purpose of a sump.

Well...My skimmer can handle something like 1800 gph which far exceeds the maximum drain rate. So if I push lets say 1000-1200 gph through the sump, I have a 5-6 turnover rate.
I plan to run a <u>much</u> slower flow through the refugium but the water level will be at least 5' off the ground.
I have a 1/3 chiller that suggests a flow of 900-1200gph and it too will be above my rubbermaid 4' or 5'.

Hard to calculate all of this to determine how much pump I need.

If reeflo pumps are indeed safe to throttle back, maybe I should get the Barracuda!:D

Back