Return pump air bubbles

walterp1982

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I found a problem that I couldn't get Google to solve.

I turn my return pump off for feeding, because I don't like losing the food over the overflow. When I do this, my loc-line return breaks siphon, and sucks air until the sump is equalized.

When I turn my return pump back on, all the air that was sucked in down to sump level shoots back out and straight into the tank. I feed 2x a day, so this gets annoying.

Any solution, or is this something you just live with?

You could raise your return nozzle above the water line when the return is off. All the air will be pushed out before the water comes out and not enter below the water line. A second option is you could add a check valve in the return plumbing. Some people say the valve can fail or get stuck causing flooding. Does it continue to produce bubbles for a long time after the return is turned back on?

No, only for about 3-5 sec, but it's an awful lot. Sounds like this is something people generally just live with?

i would go with the check valve route. but in your case just lifting your outlets up may be the easiest option. good thing is you can try it out for a few days and if you're not happy with it you can add a check valve on later.

Never had that problem, nor have I had problems with the check valves so far.
I would go with the check valve.

myreefclub0070;1036835 wrote: never had that problem, nor have i had problems with the check valves so far.
I would go with the check valve.

+2

If you add a check valve, get a clear one so you can see inside and put it as high as you can in the plumbing to your tank....

I've got a CV but run my return lines just beneath the water surface for H2O.

3. Option is to put a hole in your return line (or PVC in over flow) just shy of the water surface that will "break siphon" as soon as a little water is reduced in the tank. This however is just a small hole and will spit water out and could possibly get clogged over time so you do want to keep an eye on it.

No 90 degree turns, it's just that when my return pump is off, the water drains down to the sump, which leaves about 3 feet of air in my line until the pump starts pushing water back up the line. I think the cv is prob the answer

I know what you're talking about, but I never really viewed it as a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back