Return pump failed while out-of-town

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
So I left town for just under 2 days.... and came back to a crazy situation. Rest assured, it was a good ending.

Sometime during the weekend, my return pump failed, after years of use and never failing.

Because of this, my sump filled up all the way to the final 1-2mm of the edge... but didn’t overflow and flood anything.

And my display tank temperature dropped down to 73 degrees. But fortunately, it seems that no corals, anemones, inverts, nor fish were affected over the short timeframe. My controller isn’t online either, so I had no idea of any of this.

I arrived home at 1am, and spent an hour diagnosing and attempting to repair the pump, and deciding to swap on one of my backup return pumps and go to bed. Everything is now running smoothly, and all seems well with the tank.
-
Many years ago, I’ve left my tank unattended (and without a controller) for a month, without any losses or negative events. And have done smaller stints hundreds of times. But this time, I had a bit of bad luck, and then a bit of good luck. The success here wouldn’t have happened without prudent planning. Bad stuff will always happen eventually. I previously measured my sump volume so it wouldn’t overflow. And I had a backup return pump on hand. And if needed, I had plenty of other equipment and preparations necessary.

Glad you’re ok & thanks for posting!

I’m putting flow sensors on the pump outputs for this reason.

I’ll also test with a ‘pump off’, to be sure the sumps don’t overflow.

Also have a liquid sensor in pan under the sump to detect leaks.

All of the above monitored by an Apex.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it’s funny because I have an Apex too, and the sensors... but I’ve been so darn swamped for the past several months, I haven’t set it up yet. Let this also be my motivation to just connect it and put it to use!

My new one gets here Wednesday.

Think of it like any prophylactic. It can’t work if we don’t use it! ;)

Glad everything worked out in the end. Good thing it was summer and not winter. I'm guessing your powerheads kept good surface agitation.
One question though. Did you happen to test the salinity of the display before getting the pump swapped out? Wondering if it went up and by how much.

So I left town for just under 2 days.... and came back to a crazy situation. Rest assured, it was a good ending.

Sometime during the weekend, my return pump failed, after years of use and never failing.

Because of this, my sump filled up all the way to the final 1-2mm of the edge... but didn’t overflow and flood anything.

And my display tank temperature dropped down to 73 degrees. But fortunately, it seems that no corals, anemones, inverts, nor fish were affected over the short timeframe. My controller isn’t online either, so I had no idea of any of this.

I arrived home at 1am, and spent an hour diagnosing and attempting to repair the pump, and deciding to swap on one of my backup return pumps and go to bed. Everything is now running smoothly, and all seems well with the tank.
-
Many years ago, I’ve left my tank unattended (and without a controller) for a month, without any losses or negative events. And have done smaller stints hundreds of times. But this time, I had a bit of bad luck, and then a bit of good luck. The success here wouldn’t have happened without prudent planning. Bad stuff will always happen eventually. I previously measured my sump volume so it wouldn’t overflow. And I had a backup return pump on hand. And if needed, I had plenty of other equipment and preparations necessary.
I'm thinkin 1 -2 mm is cutting it kinda close :D Glad you didn't end up with a mess!

Glad everything worked out in the end. Good thing it was summer and not winter. I'm guessing your powerheads kept good surface agitation.
One question though. Did you happen to test the salinity of the display before getting the pump swapped out? Wondering if it went up and by how much.
My salinity decreased slightly by swapping out the pump. I watched as my ATO dumped a little freshwater immediately after replacing it. But the amount was almost negligible. I expect it decreased by 0.00005. Good catch though!

I'm thinkin 1 -2 mm is cutting it kinda close :D Glad you didn't end up with a mess!

It is! I measured it so it would stop at 1 full inch below to top of the sump. It baffles me (Haha, pun) how the water level got up as high as it did. It shouldn’t have. I have tested this contingency many times over the past few years; it always goes to 1”.

My immediate reaction when seeing it, was I transferred water from the sump up to the display, and none drained to the sump. ...confirming it is very weird!

Another good catch!

My salinity decreased slightly by swapping out the pump. I watched as my ATO dumped a little freshwater immediately after replacing it. But the amount was almost negligible. I expect it decreased by 0.00005. Good catch though!
I was more concerned that the salinity in the display could have gone up before you got it fixed. It should evaporate faster with the agitation than it would in the sump.
Makes sense that the overall system salinity dropped slightly after everything was back up and running and the ato got the level back where you keep it.

The unknown is how long the return pump was down. Could have died right after you left or just before you got back. Getting your Apex online will help a lot and give you a chance to reach out for help when you're out of town. I keep a backup pump ready to go. Just a union and the power cable. Pump controler and power brick are there too along with heaters and most everything else I can think of. I show the people I have on standby where everything is.

Oh yes, I see what you mean. I agree, it Must have went up by some measure. But not sure by how much before I fixed it

Back