Return pump for 210gal? Maybe eheim 1262 or blowhole 1450?

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
Setting up a fowl 210gal that has the Aqueon Megaflow kit (1" drains and 3/4" returns). Sump sits directly under tank and the stand is 3' tall so head loss is nill. Pump would not initially be used for anything other than a return line. I was considering these two pumps for the return eheim 1262 or blowhole 1450 (I realize that's an odd comparison since it's internal vs external). First off I have heard conflicting info on how much gph I can run with the two 1" drains... What's the reality of that? For the money I'm leaning towards the blowhole since I would have 3 gph options on tap with the single pump. Thoughts? Thanks David Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

I'd personally go with the blowhole. I like external pumps and I really like how adjustable the ReeFlo is.

As for returns, I forget what the siphon rate is of 1" PVC, but want to say it's around 600gph. One thing that people don't consider though is that elbows and/or horizontal stretches DRAMATICALLY decrease flow.

Case in point, I have a Herbie drain system (1 full siphon, 1 partial) and they are 1" PVC. My return pump is around 650gph to the tank, and my partial siphon is required to be almost FULLY open to be able to handle the water volume because of how I have it plumbed.

45-deg bends are your friend over 90's, and don't do any horizontal runs (I have about 2' of horizontal flow in both returns)

The 1262 can also be used externally. I have no experience with the blowhole pumps but have used eheims for many years (have one that's going on 20 years old and still gets the job done). I ran my 180 with a 1262 , it was external, and never had an issue. I would guess the eheim might also be more energy efficient.

JeF4y;838195 wrote: I'd personally go with the blowhole. I like external pumps and I really like how adjustable the ReeFlo is.

As for returns, I forget what the siphon rate is of 1" PVC, but want to say it's around 600gph. One thing that people don't consider though is that elbows and/or horizontal stretches DRAMATICALLY decrease flow.

Case in point, I have a Herbie drain system (1 full siphon, 1 partial) and they are 1" PVC. My return pump is around 650gph to the tank, and my partial siphon is required to be almost FULLY open to be able to handle the water volume because of how I have it plumbed.

45-deg bends are your friend over 90's, and don't do any horizontal runs (I have about 2' of horizontal flow in both returns)

Can I run the drain straight down to the sump and have a drain entering the sump on each end; or as I would assume do you want both drains entering the sump at the same place?

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

Check out the Water Blaster pumps. Hands down the most energy efficient pumps that there are out there. I run one on my frag tank as well as my display tank. Work great and can be external or internal. I do not think you will be disappointed.

If it was me I would use the Eheim as it will use less energy and last longer like mufret said above.....

DavidinGA;838241 wrote: Can I run the drain straight down to the sump and have a drain entering the sump on each end; or as I would assume do you want both drains entering the sump at the same place?

You can do whatever you want, but personally I wouldn't. You want the water to flow in a circular manner. Tank - THROUGH SUMP - Tank. If you drop in at both ends, you're avoiding the sump cycle with a large portion of the water.

If you can't avoid horizontal runs, that's fine. Most of us can't. You can try using 45's to keep it sloping downward, but even then it'll still drain even if there's a long horizontal run. It just won't drain as fast and that's something to keep in mind.

After some reading I just realized that I can't run an external pump unless I drill the sump (I had originally thought you could run pvc up and over in to the sump to draw from). An internal pump would be much easier in my situation....

Check out the new Eheim Compact series of pumps, with built in flow adjustment. I bought the 5000 (liter) model.

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/pumps/compact_plus-5000">http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/pumps/compact_plus-5000</a>

I'm using it on a 120 with single overflow, so you may need two of them.

Very efficient, low wattage, with 1inch input/output ports!

Best of all, that Eheim quality & reliability.

FWIW-
I still have my first Eheim pump from 1988 and it still works like new!

ichthyoid;838352 wrote: Check out the new Eheim Compact series of pumps, with built in flow adjustment. I bought the 5000 (liter) model.

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/pumps/compact_plus-5000">http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/pumps/compact_plus-5000</a>

I'm using it on a 120 with single overflow, so you may need two of them.

Very efficient, low wattage, with 1inch input/output ports!

Best of all, that Eheim quality & reliability.

FWIW-
I still have my first Eheim pump from 1988 and it still works like new![/QUOTE]

Most reviews make it sound like the compact 5000 is the weaker pump with lower psi (less head)...?

Leaning towards the eheim 1262 for a slower flow sump setup... Thoughts?

I own an eheim and blowhole. I love eheim but I prefer my return to have a little more torque. I love the adjustable blowhole I have. I think it offers more versatility for pressure rated/head loss applications. Say if you ever decided to run a manifold.

Seth The Wine Guy;839541 wrote: I own an eheim and blowhole. I love eheim but I prefer my return to have a little more torque. I love the adjustable blowhole I have. I think it offers more versatility for pressure rated/head loss applications. Say if you ever decided to run a manifold.

I saw that the blowhole dropped to like 600gph at 6ft head which makes it seem pretty weak though. What has been your experience?

Based on the charts given per manufacturers it seems the eheim is a stronger pump at a few head of height per watt.

porpoiseaquatics;838251 wrote: Use a Waveline pump. They are 12v and variable drive. They aren't cheap but being variable, using less power and they are ultra quiet!

Are you using one now? I was researching it online and I'm thinking about getting the Waveline 5000 to replace my Deep Blue Triton 5 I just installed. I had a Triton 3 to supply my 65g, but just recently plumbed in my 29g fuge, a new 40g frag tank, and 2 reactors, so I needed to upgrade. The Triton 3 was quiet, and I couldn't hear it over the skimmer, so I stuck with the brand and upgraded to a Triton 5 at around 1350gph. Unfortunately, the Triton 5 has a buzz that is driving me nuts. I hope it's just breaking in, but I'm not sure I want to wait for that.

So now I'm on a quest for a quiet return pump in the 1350gph/5000lph range. The Waveline 5000 at around $200 seems reasonable for the improved power efficiency (less heat and cheaper to run), and lower noise level. But I'd like to know if anyone has actually used these.

I use 2 MD-20RLXT return pumps on my 210 with dual 1" durso style drains. Not that you are considering Iwaki pumps but this will give you an idea of the flow levels to shoot for. These 2 pumps yield about 900-1000 GPH with my head height and plumbing. This flow level leaves a little air gap at the overflow "grate" to allow surface skimming. Also, I taped over the slots lower on the overflows to force all the water over the top. If you leave these open, you may be able to go a little higher yet. The drains do not appear to be anywhere near their capacity.

Schwaggs;839683 wrote: I use 2 MD-20RLXT return pumps on my 210 with dual 1" durso style drains. Not that you are considering Iwaki pumps but this will give you an idea of the flow levels to shoot for. These 2 pumps yield about 900-1000 GPH with my head height and plumbing. This flow level leaves a little air gap at the overflow "grate" to allow surface skimming. Also, I taped over the slots lower on the overflows to force all the water over the top. If you leave these open, you may be able to go a little higher yet. The drains do not appear to be anywhere near their capacity.

I always thought you really shouldn't run dual return pumps?

DavidinGA;839801 wrote: I always thought you really shouldn't run dual return pumps?

Why not? I have each on it's own circuit just in case one fails, I will still have circulation. Think redundant system.

In the end, I'm not sure it was really worth it since the Iwaki pumps are so incredibly reliable. Neither have failed in over 8 years. I have had some power outages on one circuit or the other, however.

Back