Return pump issue

putemup

Market
Reaction score
Over the last month or two I noticed that the rate of return to my display was only about 10% of what it used to be. Since I've had that pump for about 5-6 yrs or so, I decided to get a new one. I assumed the pump was just old. Today I installed a new version of the same pump (blue line 40). To my surprise the same issue is taking place....What's going on? After the installation of the new pump with negative results, I put the old pump back on. Now I have absolutely no flow back into my display.

Suggestions needed.....

Thanks

It would take more than what you've put here to diagnose the issue. What size and type of plumbing is involved from the pump to the tank. How is the pump connected to your sump? How high (head) does the pump have to pump water to return it to the tank? These are just a few to start with.

Something might be clogged in the return line. Unlikely but I would start there. Something is restricting the flow

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It makes no sense why a pump would work for years then suddenly stop even after being replaced by a new one. I'm gonna get a maintenance company out (hopefully) Friday to investigate it. Until then I installed an air stone to keep things oxygenated.

How is your tank plumb, do you have any manifolds on the plumbing, check for an open valve.
If you have a y at the lockline for the return nozzle check that to see if something's stuck in there.
If you have a check valve, see if somethings it there too.
Few options but simple to diagnose.

I would investigate thoroughly before calling someone to come look at it. Usually plumbing is simple. Check valves, connections, your lock lines, etc. it has to be simple

+1 on all the above. If no water is coming out of the pump then something is blocking it somewhere along the line. That's pretty limited in what it can be depending on your plumbing setup.

1. Have you looked at the pump impeller housing to make sure the shaft is turning when it's on? I'd start there and then it's a process of elimination.
2. Check and see if there is something blocking the intake to the impeller (from sump to volute)
3. If nothing there, then check the impeller itself for a pebble or something that keeps it from moving.
4. If that's not it, then it's on the supply line back to the tank. Disconnect the pump from the supply line. Does water come back down the line? If not and there isn't a check valve in place, then your blockage is in that line. Any fish missing? Large snails? These could be the culprits.

This is certainly a very simple investigation that shouldn't require the time or expense of somebody else coming to look and find the issue.

Try running water through it in the reverse direction. That should show you if there is a blockage and it may free it up since the flow will be in the opposite direction. Wire hanger or fish tape may also prove useful.

Back