Return pump plumbing question

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
Never thought of this before but is it possible to have too small of a return line and it lead to premature pump failure?

My return died after 2 ish years. It was a jaebo dc9000 and the tank uses a 3/4" return line. Could that have caused it to fail? What size line should I use for that sized pump?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ;1104690 wrote: Never thought of this before but is it possible to have too small of a return line and it lead to premature pump failure?

My return died after 2 ish years. It was a jaebo dc9000 and the tank uses a 3/4" return line. Could that have caused it to fail? What size line should I use for that sized pump?

I don't use the Jaebo brand stuff. But 3/4 is industry standard for return line size. So there should have been zero issues with using that size tubing/pvc.

From what I can tell the Jaebo brand stuff tends to last about 2-4 years with good cleaning an maintenance. I guess it is part of what you get with the cheaper price and no customer service.

Will 3/4" pipe handle 2000+ gallons per hour?

aXio;1104691 wrote: I don't use the Jaebo brand stuff. But 3/4 is industry standard for return line size. So there should have been zero issues with using that size tubing/pvc.

From what I can tell the Jaebo brand stuff tends to last about 2-4 years with good cleaning an maintenance. I guess it is part of what you get with the cheaper price and no customer service.

Jakub - opinion on a $200 - $300 pump that would typically last 4 - 8 years?

I'd be interested in alternatives but am a little shy to spend double the $$ without getting the return.

aXio;1104691 wrote: I don't use the Jaebo brand stuff. But 3/4 is industry standard for return line size. So there should have been zero issues with using that size tubing/pvc.

Concur! I believe in the meaning of "You get what you pay for!". It's very scary; you pick up an item that your interested in purchasing, then you look at the tiniest lettering on the package that states "Made in C____ or Made in PRC."

I read an interesting post some time back here on ARC, is was related to "Whom is liable if your house burned down if the product was made in xxxxx? Where would one start in an attempt to recover damages caused by a product defective in workmanship, etc. that was manufactured in another country? We need to quit purchasing items from xxxx when it comes to safety, workmanship, and especially electrical products for our home/business. Purchase products that are known to be safe and where quality is not compromised.

Wannabee

That's what I was thinking, I can't imaging trying to shove that much flow through a 3/4" pipe. Although the T valve is probably more than I'll do... LOL.

Bgcoop8784;1104700 wrote: Restricting the output side of a pump just adds more head pressure which shouldn't cause premature wear on the pump, it also reduces the gph on the pump. When I ran my older system using a dc12000, to get maximum flow, i had to use a 1 1/2" return line. Saying that, we have water pumps at work that function the same way as the dc pumps, and the manufacturer of these pumps say to increase the life of the pump, do not restrict output or input flow, but rather add a "t" with a ball valve directly off the output of the pump and redirect un-needed flow back into the machine sump. Never restrict the intake side because it may cause cavitation which will damage the pump.

Awwww man - now I have to go buy another gate valve for the new setup.

That does make sense and is something I haven't thought of. I wonder how much of a difference in backflow pressure there really is though since that return valve has to be partially closed to regulate the flow up to the returns.

I always start with the Sicce pumps. They are awesome "tried and true" pumps that have pretty much set the industry standard for return pumps. They are 100% made in italy and best of all they come with a 5 year no questions asked in-store warranty. Meaning absolutely no shipping or the customer needing to deal with the manufacture. If the pump goes bad on you just simply take it to the store you bought it from and they hand you a new one and you go home. Some customers even purposefully break the pumps 4 years in just so they can get a brand new pump before the warranty ends... now that bit of information is obviously a moral check on ones self lol. But you know if they company is willing to put that kind of warranty on their product it is a VERY good product. They aren't priced bad either.

Obvious in my opinion the best of the best and the most "worry free" purchase would be a Ecotech Vectra pump for me. Their customer service is simply ridiculous good. They will NEVER leave a customer hanging even well after the warranty/return period is over. You truly pay for absolute top quality and the peace of mind that you have a company that will back you up with any problems 100%

Flow restriction on a good high quality pump should never be an issue. With cheaper "knock-off" pumps I guess it is possible since the components probably aren't rated for all the extra pressure... but that is just me thinking out loud on that one.

And yes my absolutely biggest fear using a Chinese knock off like Jeabo would be as Wannabee mentioned... what happens if that pump causes you house to burn down? That company has no legal obligation at all to do anything in a situation. They probably wouldn't even respond even if you could get a contact number to some one over there. Insurance won't cover it that's for sure.

Jakub

Lmm1967;1104698 wrote: Jakub - opinion on a $200 - $300 pump that would typically last 4 - 8 years?

I'd be interested in alternatives but am a little shy to spend double the $$ without getting the return.

To get optimal flow from any pump start the piping the same diameter as the output side of the pump. Then step it down after tee's or y's.

Ok Brandon you talked me into it. $23 later and a trip to home depot I have a new set up, 1-1/4" piping to a T that goes to the reactor and other side to rank

Thanks for your knowledge and response....

Looks like a Syncra Pro 5000 is in my future

aXio;1104707 wrote: I always start with the Sicce pumps. They are awesome "tried and true" pumps that have pretty much set the industry standard for return pumps. They are 100% made in italy and best of all they come with a 5 year no questions asked in-store warranty. Meaning absolutely no shipping or the customer needing to deal with the manufacture. If the pump goes bad on you just simply take it to the store you bought it from and they hand you a new one and you go home. Some customers even purposefully break the pumps 4 years in just so they can get a brand new pump before the warranty ends... now that bit of information is obviously a moral check on ones self lol. But you know if they company is willing to put that kind of warranty on their product it is a VERY good product. They aren't priced bad either.

Obvious in my opinion the best of the best and the most "worry free" purchase would be a Ecotech Vectra pump for me. Their customer service is simply ridiculous good. They will NEVER leave a customer hanging even well after the warranty/return period is over. You truly pay for absolute top quality and the peace of mind that you have a company that will back you up with any problems 100%

Flow restriction on a good high quality pump should never be an issue. With cheaper "knock-off" pumps I guess it is possible since the components probably aren't rated for all the extra pressure... but that is just me thinking out loud on that one.

And yes my absolutely biggest fear using a Chinese knock off like Jeabo would be as Wannabee mentioned... what happens if that pump causes you house to burn down? That company has no legal obligation at all to do anything in a situation. They probably wouldn't even respond even if you could get a contact number to some one over there. Insurance won't cover it that's for sure.

Jakub

Lmm1967;1104720 wrote: Thanks for your knowledge and response....

Looks like a Syncra Pro 5000 is in my future

Also check out the new Syncra SDC pumps. The larger one will up to 2,500gph and it is a DC pump so you get flow control.

aXio;1104722 wrote: Also check out the new Syncra SDC pumps. The larger one will up to 2,500gph and it is a DC pump so you get flow control.

I saw those as well - I don't think the controllability in my instance for a return pump is critical - and it seems to be about $100 more for those.

I'm assuming you guys stock a selection of the Sicces at the store?

Back