Return pump recommendations

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
I recently took down my 120 to have my floors redone and am going to be be restarting it this upcoming weekend. I am currently using a syncra 5 as a return pump but I have been unsatisfied with the flow from the returns. I am also running an MP 40 and another 1200 GPH pump for circulation. Is this enough flow or should I upgrade my syncra. Any recommendations for a better return pump would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

The Syncra is rated at 1321 gph. Assuming a standard height & plumbing you are likely to get around 600 gph, which is ~5 x’s your tank volume, which is what I shoot for.

Just curious, but why are you unsatisfied with the flow? Most use powerheads to generate the bulk of the ‘in tank’ flow. You might be happier adding another MP40 or even a Maxspect Gyre.

The return is just for system/sump turnover & 5x should be good, unless you’re trying to hit Triton turnover rates of ~10x’s ?

usually the syncra is very reliable regarding a pump. what @ichthyoid suggested about 5x tank volume is where I would aim for as well.

also, regarding water circulation within the tank, what are your goals? SPS, LPS, softies, FOWLR?

I have a full SPS system, same dimensions as the 120 and I'm running 3x MP40s, but you might not need anywhere close to the amount of flow I'm running if you have different goals.

I am aiming for a mixed reef. Same as I had before taking my tank down. I saved a few frags and the fish. The flow from the returns when split seems weak. I will add a gyre or a second MP 40. I think I will be calling premium aquatics to do the initial setup. Just have to get the furniture back in.

Back