Return pump size on 90 gallon

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what people were using on their 90's. I'm upgrading soon and I was going to go with the Mag 9. I'm running the mag 5 on my 55 right now and it's great.

Is the mag 9 too big, too small, or just right?

How big is your sump? If your sump is a decent size, the Mag 9 (or an equivent) would be a good choice. If the sump is on the small size, you might want to go with a smaller return pump so that you have a longer "dwell" time in your sump. Of course you'll need to have a stronger closed loop system or powerheads in your display for water circulation.

Well I'm actually upgrading my sump to a 30 gallon sump very soon with the tank. As of right now I have a smaller sump.

So I'm trying to get info with a 30 gallon sump.

Also, keep in mind that more expensive pumps that use less power will quickly pay for themselves in savings on your power bill. They also don't heat up your tank as much.

I use an Iwaki 30rlt. Its a great reliable pump. Its quiet but it gets extremely hot. Its an external pump so i am not sure how much heat actually gets in the water. I also second the JBJ auto topoff <--- I dont know how i lived without it. You can also make a diy topoff. The directions are on melevs website.

dawgdude;66457 wrote: Make sure you have a Durso style stand pipe!!!! I am kicking myself for not having one of these because my drain was so loud! Whenever I get time I am going to replace it. I am currently in the middle of putting in an ATO (I DEFINATLY approve of the JBJ because of ease of use!) and lunar lights. If you have a durso stand pipe thing something right around 500 gph should be ok. Just in case you dont know what durso pipes are:

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx">http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx</a>[/QUOTE]

Too bad Durso stand pipes can not be used in HOB overflows. I need to find a solution for this. Can you just cut "hashes" (for lack of a better word( into the stand pipe on a HOB over flow and cap it off like in the durso? Start with two hashes and if not enough drainage then add some more. I just do not have enough room in the boxes for the "street-ell"...

Yeah, Brandon, there is something you can do. I'll try to find the site again for you.

Instead of a Durso, you can use a Stockman standpipe. It is more compact, but works using the same principal as a Durso.

Here is a link:

a>

Brandon,
I put a durso in the HOB I got from you. I have a disc sander and just sanded off the outside of the 90 degree that goes down and it fits and works perfect. I drilled about a 1/8 th hole in the cap and ta-da holds the level with no sound.

roundman;66518 wrote: Brandon,
I put a durso in the HOB I got from you. I have a disc sander and just sanded off the outside of the 90 degree that goes down and it fits and works perfect. I drilled about a 1/8 th hole in the cap and ta-da holds the level with no sound.

Ya My one overflow box is of a different design and I really doubt it will fit in there. The other overflow box a durso might... Make me two and I will check it out! ;)

Thanks Bryan and circle K

Back