Return pump size?

eagle9252

Market
Reaction score
Is my return pump undersized??
This is a 75gal 48x18x20 DT with a 36gal 36x12x20sump. Water levels in the sum are about 14” an about 8” in the return. The pump is a Mag7 and the return is ¾ and the drain is 1-1/4. The return is diagonal from the skimmer. The HOB Skimmer is on the back right side and the return comes up beside the skimmer and goes to the front and turns and goes across the front to the far left corner (looking from the back). I had a 45* on the end and it was pointed down at a 45* and towards the middle of the tank. I had water flowing through the sump but no movement on the surface. I could float something on the top and it did not move and the water level was about ¼ to 3/8” from the lip. I removed the 45* and left the 90* so it’s pointing to the back right corner and I cut about 3/16” of the front and sides of the HOB Skimmer. I have some movement now. I will be adding a power head inside the tank but wanted to know if my turnover was good or should I upgrade to a mag 9. My testing was with fresh water so the pump has not had any salt in it.

1003011915a.jpg
alt="" />

A mag 7 should be plenty. In most cases your return is not going to move a ton of water in your display tank. Its job is to pump it back from the sump. A few powerheads is what most people do. If you don't like them you can research a "closed loop" system but that involves drilling holes and a lot more plumbing.

10-4

this is just a starter tank. I already have plans for a 150gal 48x30x24 +/-. my current sys will seed the other later. as I dont want to have anything in the viewing way of the 3-3/4 sides. I will more than likely do a left rear corner return because of the sight lines. but I will have to LQQK more into the closed loop later.

thx

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Well, I have had fresh water for years as a kid and they kept dyeing off about 30yrs ago we found out that well water was not good for fish. So we started going to the local gas station for water. The biggest tank I had was a 55gal. when I worked at home depot I had feeder fish in the pond tank and they grew about 5 or 6 inches and when I left I took them with me. In my 55 I had a 9” Oscar and a Jack Dempsey nothing to brag about and we were living in an apartment with a concrete floor. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">I started to build a wet dry filter box to change to SW about 20 yrs ago then we moved and I got a house. I drew up the plans for an 84x48x36 sys over 600 gals and well 3 kids and 18 yrs later here I am. I did off-road trail riding for a while and fabricated all my stuff them as I’m not a cheap person but I would rather make it than buy it off the shelf. Also I always over engineer things. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Then my son got into Cub Scouts and now Boy Scouts so this takes up a lot of time as I’m a leader in the troop and do district stuff as well, other words I’m not a drop and go parent. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">I know this is more than you asked, sorry. My kids have had small tanks and currently have a red ear slide if anyone wants it let me know. It’s about 5” now and we have had it for about 3 yrs. My wife raised a Senegal parrot from just after birth when it had fuzz and no feathers. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">I was going to convert the 5gal hex and a 10gal sump and after research and a bare load bearing wall. I decided to take it down and add a SW tank. So I got a 40B and 20L from Petco and then I found a 75g and a 36gal. Like I stated earlier I like to fab all my stuff so I have more pictures of my stuff just not uploaded them yet. I started a thread on reef central before I found this site. I need to post my build here as well. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Currently working on a filter sock holder and an ATO setup. I have the RODI temp plumb in the laundry room running thru the attic and down the new header to fill the tank and sump. LQQKS like I moonshine still!! I will look into getting a float switch to remote fill my RODI container which will have a pump in it for the ATO setup. Have not decided on what to do with the 40B. I might make it into a sump later after I decide what I like and dislike. I hope to have the 20L sump sold. I have a guy that asked me to make some changes and if he does not get it this weekend I will post it FS. </span></span>

Sounds like many years and a busy life style which is good. I wish you the best of luck with your new setup as you tackle the project. I would use more power heads cause I hear more flow in the tank better you are. I would also want a slower rate of speed being taken out of the sump for return better filtration. It may become a pro and con for you as I have crossed that bridge many times about flow.

Thats great to hear! The reason i asked is so many people start small then immediately go big and find it overwhelming and get out. It sounds like you're on the right path!!

Back