Return pump start up -- nothing

geno

Market
Reaction score
I just finished adding all the water to my 125 tank and sump.

My return pump is a BlueLine model (external) -- I plugged it in and nothing happened -- no water came out of the return nozzles.

Should this happen pretty darn quick -- or does it take minutes? One of the return lines is quite short and I see no evidence of water movement -- by the way I used tubing not PVC -- so the water is visible.

I don't want to burn up the pump by running it too long without water flow -- at least I think that's an issue -- correct? How long is too long?

Thanks for any advice -- frankly, I'm kind of upset.

-geno

turn the pump off.. unscrew the front of the unit, comes off easily and check the housing for any loose particles...is this an old pump??...give it a good clean then reassemble and try again... if its new,, i would send it back.. i know poeple say not do run them dry, but you could try quickly powering it with the housing unattached to make sure the motor inside actaully spins..

Does your pump make a humming noise when you turn it on? If so you probably have what slayer77 is saying about loose particles. I have a sequence pump and it was running fine, but when I turned it off and back on again nothing happen....Sand had accumulated inside the housing. Once I cleaned it out it worked fine....PIA though :)

First, thanks to you who have taken pity on me.

The pump is new (someone asked) -- so no sand inside -- so I have two questions:

1. How do I check for junk inside -- the think is connected to a tube full of water.

2. If it is a prime issue -- how do you prime an external pump?

Sorry if these are stupid questions -- I've never done this before.

-gene

I have an external pump that lost its prime one time basically it had a big air bubble in it. I just raised the rear of the pump and shook it and it started to pump.

yeah-make sure all your connections are airtight--if there is any leakage (sucking in air) then it will not pump--you need to somehow get water in the lines--that will make the pump start pumping; priming a pump is (to me) a major PITA.

Back