Return Pump-Too Much Flow

joeyprice

Reaction score
I have a Varios 4 pump that blows that crap out of everything in the tank when set on anything other than the lowest setting. I'm concerned that there isn't enough flow through the sump. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to direct the return flow so I can run the pump on a higher setting?

How is the water returning into your tank from the pump? Could you add loc-line with splitters and nozzles?

You don't need that much flow through the sump. The rule of thumb I have been using is 10x the sump volume instead of the display volume. The 10x display volume is leftover from the days when the return pump was part of the tank flow. With the powerheads we have today, the return pump just supports the filtration.

Water is going back through a single return in one of the corners. I didn't think of splitters. No matter where I seem to aim it its blasting something either directly or with the water bouncing off the glass and coming back. I have it aimed in the same direction as the Gyre at the moment, which is set on random forward and backward, it counter acts the backward action of the gyre and makes it just sort of slack water for that period of time, which is the best option I've found so far.

I kind of forgot about a convo I had on here earlier, where the tank flow should be 10x volume not the tank turnover. I guess I'll soldier on like this, nothing is dying, so it cant be THAT bad.

Put a ball valve on the out put of your pump

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Back