Return Pump

4nreefer

Market
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the process of building a manifold that'll feed the chiller and uv down in the basement. Unless I have to, I'm trying to resist buying a high end pump. The only pump I can find is the Hydor seltz D (2400). The issue I have with it is that I had one that rusted on me after less than a year. I noticed the rust after running the pump in venegar to clean it. Now I'm not sure if the rust was from the tank or from the venegar. I've since switched to citric acid. My questions are:

1. Have anyone used the Hydor seltz D return pump long term without issues?

2. Would it be strong enough to pump water from the tank to the basement, feeding uv sterilizer and chiller, and back up to the tank? (About 16ft high and 6ft across)

3. Is it better to not take the risk and get a neptune cor-15, since I run the Neptune Systems?

4. Would the Neptune Cor-15 do all the above?

Thanks for your help guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I'm in the process of building a manifold that'll feed the chiller and uv down in the basement. Unless I have to, I'm trying to resist buying a high end pump. The only pump I can find is the Hydor seltz D (2400). The issue I have with it is that I had one that rusted on me after less than a year. I noticed the rust after running the pump in venegar to clean it. Now I'm not sure if the rust was from the tank or from the venegar. I've since switched to citric acid. My questions are:

1. Have anyone used the Hydor seltz D return pump long term without issues?

2. Would it be strong enough to pump water from the tank to the basement, feeding uv sterilizer and chiller, and back up to the tank? (About 16ft high and 6ft across)

3. Is it better to not take the risk and get a neptune cor-15, since I run the Neptune Systems?

4. Would the Neptune Cor-15 do all the above?

Thanks for your help guys.

You need to look at the head pressure curves readily available online. For example, Neptune’s cor15 has low head pressure and would not pump 16 feet vertically. Same for the Hydor, would not work according to the head pressure specs of this pump. These charts are easy to read. And the formula for head pressure is also online. Calculate your head pressure first of what you are running and then check pumps that will meet that specification. Also, your situation is 16+1+1=18 feet head pressure as a rough estimate since you said 16 vertical and across which is a 90 degree plus 1 for the 6 feet across as each 10 horizontal is another foot of head pressure. That does not account for pipe diameter or material or any other bends or runs.

Last edited:
I freaking despise my Hydor return pump. I bought it in a hurry because my ancient bargain special died after years of service and a long retirement. Every other day i'm having to fuss with my drain valve trying to balance the flow out. I will be trashing that heap and going to something that can maintain flow rates more evenly at some point in the next few months.

I'm a big fan of koralia powerheads for the money, that return pump is garbage though.

I freaking despise my Hydor return pump. I bought it in a hurry because my ancient bargain special died after years of service and a long retirement. Every other day i'm having to fuss with my drain valve trying to balance the flow out. I will be trashing that heap and going to something that can maintain flow rates more evenly at some point in the next few months.

I'm a big fan of koralia powerheads for the money, that return pump is garbage though.
Thanks a lot. I'll take the Hydor off my list then. No one seem to have any positive eeport on them long term. Thanks.

You need to look at the head pressure curves readily available online. For example, Neptune’s cor15 has low head pressure and would not pump 16 feet vertically. Same for the Hydor, would not work according to the head pressure specs of this pump. These charts are easy to read. And the formula for head pressure is also online. Calculate your head pressure first of what you are running and then check pumps that will meet that specification. Also, your situation is 16+1+1=18 feet head pressure as a rough estimate since you said 16 vertical and across which is a 90 degree plus 1 for the 6 feet across as each 10 horizontal is another foot of head pressure. That does not account for pipe diameter or material or any other bends or runs.
Thanks, you right, cor-15 would definitely not work. The chiller requires 480-1320gph and the uv is 950gph.

Back