return pump

dawgfan

Market
Reaction score
Is a rio 1400 enough pump to use as a return pump from my sump if it is located in the stand?

let me know.

if your return is 3 ft above the pump it moves @ 290 gph per the manufaturer will that be enugh for you ? You did not state the size

As a comparison I have a mag 12 on my 100 gal - I gues it depends on what you are keeping in the tank . And as far a reliabilty my mag 12 survived being flooded for several weeks after katrina. And being set up for a couple of years whil I got stuff back together. As far as size I try to keep a turnover in my tanks at 10 times per hour thru the display

should have put on the same post :doh: i have a 3500 rio on my other 55 and knock on wood 3or 4 years old never the first problem, that now being said let me go check it :lol2:

i guess it would also depend on if you tank is drilled or if your using an overflo, overflo's are rated for flo.

swfk44;377928 wrote: i guess it would also depend on if you tank is drilled or if your using an overflo, overflo's are rated for flo.

I'm lost

:sorry: i haven't been here long enough to give advice, i was just trying to be helpful. dawgfan didn't give alot of specifics. i was thinking if he had a hangon overflow they are rated for flow and you wouldn't want to use a pump rated more gph than the overflow would handle.

Gotcha,

a drilled tank is also using an overflow - you were referring to the hang-on-back kind which has a maximum flow rate (like the internal too).
So just clarifying - you want your return pump not to overpower the overflow system...

Back