Return Pumps

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
So I dodged a bullet, for now, and the storms that just rolled through almost killed my Mag12. Even though its on a surge protector I have to jump start it by turning the impeller. I like the Mag 12 but am going to start looking at a new pump and using the mag12 as a mixing pump. My question is, has anyone used the Jebao DCT pumps, i like the fact they slow start and can speed up and down. Also any other recommended submersible pumps?

On a side note, I was about 2hrs away from putting the pump on a UPS for this reason... GRRR:mad2:

Im looking at a DCT12000 might as well have too much power and be able to dial it back and keep my valve wide open :) Looks like the 12000 is like 3x as powerful as the Mag12....Am I going to need to buy jetpacks for my fish :D

soak the impeller, volute and impeller housing in vinegar over night and try it.

almost every pump I come across that people replace because it has trouble starting is due to calcium buildup.

EnderG60;1035011 wrote: soak the impeller, volute and impeller housing in vinegar over night and try it.

almost every pump I come across that people replace because it has trouble starting is due to calcium buildup.

Plus 1 because pumps run constantly and when they show problems often at restart because of buildup.

If you change your pump, do keep the Mag as a backup. In addition to cleaning it, inspect the volute (impeller cover). They have a tendency to crack where the impeller bushing sits, and that's why you have to macgyver it to get it started. It's a $15 fix.

Everyone should keep at least a replacement impeller, and volute on hand for their primary pump, OR have a backup pump. The uber cautious among us keep all of the above.

Jenn

Back