Reusing sand

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
So I about to hey all of the stand out of my tank to move into a nother one, well do I need to rinse it out? Or can I just put it starting into the new tank? Also if I do need to rinse it, what with?

When I upgraded my tank about 4 weeks ago from a 90 to a 120, I bought all new sand and kept my refuge and sump intact. I seeded (it probably wasn't necessary with a fuge) the new sand with about a cup if the old live sand. Using this process I didn't even go through a mini cycle which I expected nor did I lose anything. Ive read reusing sand can cause drastic side effects. Plus you can change sand color or type to your new preference or needs. IMHO

Bcavalli;963923 wrote: When I upgraded my tank about 4 weeks ago from a 90 to a 120, I bought all new sand and kept my refuge and sump intact. I seeded (it probably wasn't necessary with a fuge) the new sand with about a cup if the old live sand. Using this process I didn't even go through a mini cycle which I expected nor did I lose anything. Ive read reusing sand can cause drastic side effects. Plus you can change sand color or type to your new preference or needs. IMHO

So I ended up re-using it. I've been reading and lots if peope say that if you don't have a deep stand bed and rinse it goo it should be fine.

I would do a few large water change regardless if it was fresh water. Stirring up the old sand and moving it released debris into your new water.
Check your prams (phos) before and after your water changes with reliable kits.
I've never read where it was recommended to reuse old sand but hopefully you'll be fine.
Let's see a picture of the new set up!

I'll try to post some tomorrow on my other thread. I had some problems... And ended up getting shocked by my protien skimmer. I'm honestly afraid to plug it in so I don't get shocked again.. It's really makes you feel weird.

Are you sure it was the skimmer and not a faulty heater? If you got shocked when you put your hand in the sump (or near the skimmer, especially if it is in sump) I'd check out the heater(s). I had that happen to me. A lot of people ground their tanks for this reason.

Pickup a couple of these grounding plugs.

ref=sr_1_1

Well when I was plugging it in it shocked me. I don't know if I was touching the prongs, or my hand was wet, or mabye it was just the power strip.

Back