Revived external water pump

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I didn't take pictures along the way because, honestly, I didn't think I would have success.

I bought a tank a couple weeks ago and it came with a couple 1225 gph external water pumps. I'm a long ways from setting up the said tank, so I thought I would use one of the pumps to run a water mixing station. I chose to do this so that I could 1) have a mixing station for cheap (I didn't have to buy any parts) and 2) to see if the pumps I bought actually worked.

After putting all the pieces together and leak testing, I go to turn the pump on. The worst case scenario became a reality... the price I paid for the tank sky rocketed, because the pump didn't work. I was bummed, but I still felt as though I received a good deal on the tank, even if the pumps didn't work.

Well, I decided that I couldn't make matters any worse in regards to the pumps, so I took the thing apart and soaked the parts in a vinegar water solution for a couple hours. Then I used my fingers and a toothbrush to clean the parts. There wasn't much gunk at all. I would say that there was a thin film that had built up on the parts.

Much to my surprise, when I reassembled the pump and plugged it up, the pump was humming. Now, my mixing station is actually functional and the pump seems to be pumping water like it should.

I write this post, even though I have no pictures, to encourage those that find themself in a not-so-good situation. A little thought and patience can have big rewards!

Happy reefing.

Edit: I also write this because my Google search provided very little information.

Sometimes you have to plug it in and unplug a older pump a couple times to get it running. Most externals can be serviced though, so you might try to contact the manufacturer.

Back