RGB LEDS - Applicable to Reef Tanks?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
It seems the latest buzz in the LED world, as it pertains to reef tanks, is the chase for a better representation of the full spectrum.

Has anyone looked into the RGB LEDs? Supposedly, you can create just about any color using these LEDs. Do you think magenta created with this LED benefits the coral the same as a prefabricated magenta LED?

It seems to me that our eyes play a trick on us. While we perceive the magenta color, the wave lengths produced by these leds are only those of the respective RGB colors. I can't imagine that the wave lengths produced would change in any regard.

All that being said, I'm considering using these LED's in my next build because they do provide red and green light (and blue!). The thing that I like most about these LEDs is that they appear to save real estate on our heat sinks.

What are your thoughts? I've added a link below to an example. I'm not saying this is what I plan to use, but it gives you the idea.

I'm convinced red leds aren't good for anything but growing algae and weed.

Clay4AU;819544 wrote: I'm convinced red leds aren't good for anything but growing algae and weed.

I can certainly say that the hydroponics "industry" uses red light to promote flowering. I can see how the addition of the red spectrum may promote the growth of algae.

my thinking to why I don't buy into using red for reef tanks is:
1. red is the first color that water filters out so it doesn't get to most corals in the wild especially deep water.
2. when bulbs get old its because their color shifts over time toward the red spectrum, usually causing corals to suffer and algae to grow.

I don't have this proven but it is my $.02

I use rgb for my night lighting. I use magenta at night. Makes corals pop. Cannot attest otherwise

i have red green and uv leds in my diy and I have no idea if its helping or not. its been about 2 months with them. But only 2 of each color per unit i built. the rest are RB and W. There must be some research that backs the use of these colors.

I have been playing around with some 10 watt RGB leds with different lenses to see what type of par and different color I can get out of them.

Just been busy with work lately and that project has been put on back burner for now! I also have a controller that allows you to control each color separately once I have some time to start testing will post some results.

Clay4AU;819562 wrote: my thinking to why I don't buy into using red for reef tanks is:
1. red is the first color that water filters out so it doesn't get to most corals in the wild especially deep water.
2. when bulbs get old its because their color shifts over time toward the red spectrum, usually causing corals to suffer and algae to grow.

I don't have this proven but it is my $.02
Actually it does get to almost all the corals we keep. Red actually penetrates as far as 150-160 feet . Needed?
Edit:
reeferman;819680 wrote: i didnt incorporate any reds and greens in my build.i cant say for certain that they help but i can say with certainty that they are not needed.
I assume you mean additional red and green?

Back