Ribbon Eel

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Anyone in the Club ever had one of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_eel">these</a>? We've been looking @ one that's been at a LFS for several weeks and were considering it, but research is telling me, [I]<span style="color: darkred;">[B]"Because most ribbon eels do not live longer than a month in captivity, some feel that this species should never be purchased. Ribbon eels have been observed in nearly every case to stop eating after being captured."[/B]</span></em>

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with housing one of these. They live to be 20 years old in the wild, but it sounds like not a good survival rate in capativity. LFS originally had 2 of these beautiful eels, but now they have only 1. I wonder now if the one died (even though we were told it had been sold).

Sad that collectors would capture fish that have very little chance of living beyond a few weeks and sell them (at a very high price) to unsuspecting novice reefers. There should be a law. :(

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Rhinomuraena_quaesita_by_Waldemar_Kulinski.jpg alt="" />

they used to be real cheap, under 30 $ 10 years ago, but then so were acans back then.

the issue is getting them to eat, unless you want to buy lots of peppermint shrimp

I'd classify it as an extremely difficult animal to keep. I have owned them before and have got them to eat but still thats probably 1 in 5 that actually live beyond the first 3 months.

I hope this helps.

Sounds like this aquistion is a "no-go", but make sure anytime you buy a fish, you ask to see it eat before you purchase it. Lots of LFS people will roll their eyes at you when you ask and may even come up with reasons they cant feed the fish right then. In that case I just say "OK" and not buy anything out of their tanks.......

These are almost impossible to keep alive. Like everyone said, they just won't eat and will die. I have never known anyone who has kept one successfully.

That is not to say it is not possible or that there aren't people out there with them...

Thanks for all the replies; pretty much confirmed my suspicion that this was a non-purchase.

I love the ribbon eel, though. He (eventually to be a *she*, if he/she lives that long) is too cool.

Guess I'll leave it be and let it die in someone else's tank. Fish-fatalities are just too rough for me.

:(

(BTW.... LFS is asking $69.99 for this guy)

If you want to keep an eel in your reef tank,look at the Dwarf Moray eels.Expensive at around $200 but reef safe and very cute.I had one for about a year,but unfortunately he jumped ship.:(

There is a person who has a ribbon eel on TRT, they have had it for some time now and even explain how they got it to eat.

I saw one at pets unlimited yesterday...it didnt look to be in the best health.

Stroid;70300 wrote: I saw one at pets unlimited yesterday...it didnt look to be in the best health.

Uh oh.... he/she/it looked okay when we were last there.

:'(

it didnt look awful to the point of death but it was slighlty discolored and it looked as if it was roughed up a bit. its tail was very ripped up.

Stroid;70304 wrote: it didnt look awful to the point of death but it was slighlty discolored and it looked as if it was roughed up a bit. its tail was very ripped up.

Wish I could buy him and turn him loose on a reef somewhere.

Wonder if GA Aquarium needs one.

:'(

If you are serious about it,

Go Here...

http://mblaquaculture.com/content/organisms/menidia_beryllina.php">http://mblaquaculture.com/content/organisms/menidia_beryllina.php</a>

and get a dozen silversides, and if the eel is still in good shape and eating you can bring him back to its top shape.

I saw him today as I had to go to Microcenter, besides the tail being beaten up some looked pretty healthy to me. I had one for about 5 months until my random other big brown moray eel ate it a while back.

I also now have a chain link snake eel that is also considered hard to keep. Hard to keep them but with the proper care, it can be done, always read up on it and leave it at the store for 30 days and see if they can get it to eat.

Mike

chain link's are pretty easy, nothing like a ribbon eel

why is it the pretty ones are hard to keep

megadeth;70371 wrote: chain link's are pretty easy, nothing like a ribbon eel

why is it the pretty ones are hard to keep

not a chain link... i said chain link snake eel which actually equates to this Spotted Snake Eel... sorry for not having the correct name.

Back