Right silicone?

calhounreef

Market
Reaction score
Picked up a tank from craigslist yesterday and just picked up some non tempered glass this morning, going to be making a sump for my 180, could someone tell me if I have the right kind of silicone? It's GE window and door with no mention of being mold or mildew resistant on the tube.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
911799=49767-uploadfromtaptalk1384362598767.jpg
>
911799=49767-uploadfromtaptalk1384362598767.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1384362598767.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Got it

<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
911834=49775-uploadfromtaptalk1384368549301.jpg
>
911834=49775-uploadfromtaptalk1384368549301.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1384368549301.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Yes sir, as a matter of fact, I didn't see any at home depot, probably overlooked it, but I got this tube from wal mart

Another question that's on my mind, the glass my friend gave me is 1/8, would that size be too brittle for sump baffles? Making the sump out of a 75 gallon tank so the pieces are going to be around 18 inches wide and maybe 12 or 14 inches tall at the tallest.

Getting that wide you will just have to be careful when bumping things into it as it will break easier than thicker glass. You will also want to make sure and have it cut slightly smaller than the width you want so as not to put it in a bind as the silicone will seal and hold it in place. I would have it cut at least 1/8" smaller than the width you need or slightly more if necessary. You can also put in small pieces in the middle of the baffles as braces if needed as that thickness of glass can bow if holding back a large volume of water.

I would use thicker glass. I used 1/4" for baffles in my converted 75. The walls are really only 17.25" apart. I got them cut to size and edges ground from a glass place for roughly $8 each, I think. Get the bottom corners rounded so they will fit with the silicon around the bottom edge.

Right, thanks for the replies. The more I thought about it last night the more afraid I was to use such thin glass so I went ahead and called a local shop this morning, they said they could cut me 5 pieces of 1/4 for $23 so I went ahead and told them to do it. Better safe than sorry =)

Be careful... there's also two types of GE type 1 silicone sold. I THINK the Window/Door/Attic/Basement product is the one without the antifungal/mildew inhibitor additives (as opposed to the Kitchen & Bath product) but neither products are marked as containing them on the MDS or Active Ingredient listings. Both are also marked as not for use below waterline, so take that bit into consideration as well.

Whole lotta stories on other fora about reefers with serious livestock losses due to confusion about this, and GE's not making it easy.

Grainger has the real right stuff, Momentive RTV108, but you'll probably have to order it. If you order it today, they might be able to get it to their store in Norcross by tomorrow. Also, I think some LFSs (The Fish Store?) carry caulk-gun size tubes of silicon from aquarium suppliers.

Mcmaster carr also had it. The larger tubes are cheaper than the squeeze tubes. I like the momentive much better. Its also fda approved.

sent from my Atari 2600

Back