Rinsing chaeto?

RonS

Reaction score
So... some of you may have seen my incessant whining about the green slime algae problem I'm having in my refugium since some dish soap got into my system. It's gotten a lot better, but the GSA is constantly choking out my chaeto. Every three days or so, I've been taking my chaeto out and rinsing it in the kitchen sink under the sprayer and warm water. If I don't do this. the GSA simply blocks the chaeto from getting any light.

Anyone know if there are any long-term ill effects to the fresh water rinse? The chaeto could look better, but it's hard to tell how much is due to being smothered by the GSA vs something else.

In the end it really doesn't matter, because the GSA is going to kill it. Just wondering if the fresh water is a known no-no.

Thanks!

--Ron

You already have the gas you cause it to your advantage and diy a algae reactor

I'm currently having the same issue with slime algae choking out my cheato. I didn't have dish soap, but I did use Vibrant to kill ulva and hair algae and I believe that is what started the slime. I'm following along here.

I think I'm pretty comfortable with the existing "traditional" refugium setup over a reactor. Besides - I'm pretty sure the dang GSA would just get into the reactor anyway!! : D

LOL - sorry you have it in the reactor, but glad my intuition was on target : )

Mine is just floating in a sump chamber, along with a bunch of Miracle Mud and live rock for 'pods.

I typed algae reactor I had to go back and look it up it's a algae scrubber it uses algae instead of cheato to accomplish about the same thing

Back