RIP Zorro...

twhaddon

Market
Reaction score
Well, I have been having a hair algae issue. I decided to take as much out as I can and do about a 20% water change yesterday. I replaced the poly-filter, added Seachem Matrix, replaced the GFO and Carbon. I then pulled as much algae from the rocks as possible and scraped a good bit with a toothbrush as well. It was everywhere in the tank. I siphoned out as much as I could to prepare for the new water going in. I noticed the fish were struggling a little bit to what looked to me like they were not getting enough oxygen. Afterall, this was taking a long time and the pumps and powerheads were off. I went into panic mode and got the new water in as quick as I could and got the pumps turned back on. The clown started to move a little better, but my foxface fish (Zorro) was still struggling and gasping. I added Prime to see if that would help. I didn't know what else to do at this time so I went to bed and hoped for the best. I got up around 4am and just didn't feel right so I checked the tank and sure enough Zorro had kicked the bucket and was surrounded by crabs. I was in awe and very upset. He had been in our tank since the beginning and was always thriving (until last night).

Couple of questions - could it be the destroying of hair algae maybe changing the environment too quickly or do you think it was the oxygen (I figured they would recover when the pumps and powerheads came back on). The powerheads are pointed to the surface for movement.

Also -I have 120 gallon tank and only 2 Voyager 3 1200gph powerheads. Is that enough?

RIP Zorro - see pic.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

did you stir up any sand or move any rocks in the sand around? You could have release a pocket of hydrogen sulfide, which is a killer.

I did pickup a couple of hand size rocks to clean the alage off. Siphoned the sand as well. How does the hydrogen sulfide develop?

develops in anaerobic zones(without oxygen), i.e. deep sand beds, under rocks

Is the best way to get rid of it to softly siphon the sand in the hard to reach areas?

Its just part of the process. That is the danger of a deep sand bed or moving things around.

Back