rising PH

cooper

Market
Reaction score
folks:

Need some help. 4 days ago, my ph was at 8.3. tonight...it is 8.8. I just cleaned my filter socks and my skimmer, but I cleaned them both 4 days ago. My alkalinity is 8.6 and my calcium is 445. I am checking mag now.

Question: what can I do to start lowering this PH while I figure out the problem?

thanks.

Try cleaning it first just to be sure. Mine did it a few days back and it was the probe needed cleaning and calibrating. If that it is in order, vinegar will bring your ph down but you really need to find the source of the rise in ph first . Usually is the other way falling ph.

what did you do to clean it....and how much vinegar should I add if I decide to do it that way?

As always, thanks Dave.

I also checked my TDS on my top off water, it is 20...that moved up on me real quickly. I think that can be causing a problem with ph. Does anyone know for sure?

I took a tooth brush and scrubbed it. I also calibrated mine which is not a bad idea for you if you have not done it in awhile. I am not sure about the amount of vinegar to dose for lowering ph.I can try to find the article concerning that. It was in reefkeeping magazine. Do you have any calibration solution?

I have two packages that came with the probe..one is green and says ph 7.01...the other is red and says 4.01. According to the directions, I will need a 10.01 solution to calibrate it for measurements above ph 7.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php</a>

All you need to know and more. No need to read the whole thing tonight but you will find what you need.

Cooper;370943 wrote: I have two packages that came with the probe..one is green and says ph 7.01...the other is red and says 4.01. According to the directions, I will need a 10.01 solution to calibrate it for measurements above ph 7.

you can still place the probe in the 7.01 solution and see what reading you are getting. after you brush the probe

Back