RK2 and Serial Bluetooth

izib

Market
Reaction score
Is anyone on here using the bluetooth method to connect the RK2 to a computer? I'm getting nowhere on this and need some info.

how does it compare to a aquacontroller?

I'm kinda happy with mine, although my neptune ocotpus died, and this aquacontroller will no longer monitor PH

I guess I'm hard on them, but in the next 12 months I'll need to replace this aquacontroller

izib;73589 wrote: Is anyone on here using the bluetooth method to connect the RK2 to a computer? I'm getting nowhere on this and need some info.
As rumored, yes, I'm doing this. What's giving you problems?

Megadeth, I love my RK2 (I would say Reef Keeper 2 but that just doesnt sound nearly as dorky!).

George, I just noticed your the guy on reefcentral talking to me! I'm looking into your information now, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rather than posting on both sites, attached is a link to the thread on reefcentral. Be warned, it will make RK2 owners want to spend money!

showthread.php

izib;74003 wrote: Rather than posting on both sites, attached is a link to the thread on reefcentral. Be warned, it will make RK2 owners want to spend money!

bluetooth is such a pain to work with, my bluetooth headset quits working for no reason at all at least 3x a week

is there a 802.11 solution for the rk2 yet?

Im noticing that megadeth, I didnt think anything could work worse than Windows networking but I was wrong!

megadeth;74010 wrote: bluetooth is such a pain to work with, my bluetooth headset quits working for no reason at all at least 3x a week
I'm not having any big problems with my Bluetooth on the RK2. Admittedly, the distance is all of 10 feet which for class 1 is super short. The biggest problem is that the myreef software discards the Bluetooth serial port a bit too easily (especially in power outages).

megadeth;74010 wrote: is there a 802.11 solution for the rk2 yet?
Yes. I looked into that possibility, but when I did the math, it added up to enough to easily justify moving to an AC3. I think it runs in the $160-$200 range to set it up that way.

Most of the problems with Windows Bluetooth seem to be caused by the half-assed drivers that MS shipped with XP. I had to install my Bluetooth system, uninstall the drivers, then re-install to get it to work. I think the uninstall step removes the flakey parts of MS's drivers.

ac3? that's another new acronym

I've only been out of the hobby a few years, there sure are a bunch of new terms

AC3 = http://www.neptunesys.com/aquaController3.htm">Neptune Systems Aquacontroller III</a>
It has a built in web server and wired network connection.

Back