RK2 Upgrade...Serial Ports

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a RK2 that hadn't been upgraded with the current version. I thought to myself, easy fix. I'll just get out the serial cable and hook it up download the new flash and bingo, new version. Well checked my desktop upstairs that I had upgraded the motherboard last year and no serial port. Ok..I'll try the wife's laptop....alas no serial port. Dang..when did they stop putting serial ports on computers. Then I though duh..I had a USB to serial converter. Spent hours searching through boxes of cables and computer parts that I had stored in the closet. It was no where to be found. Then I remembered about a old HP desktop, Win98 system, I had in the basement. I checked it and there it was....Comm Port 1. Started it up and about 30 minutes later it finally booted up, man 256MB of memory just trudges along. Hooked up the LAN cable and about 30 minutes later I had access to the internet. After finally getting to the Digital Aquatics site and upzipping the files, I clicked to install the update program and about 10 minutes later it came up to install. It found the RK2 and in about 30 secs it updated the flash. So let recap, 15 minutes looking for a serial port, 120 minutes to search for a USB to serial converter, 20 minutes to get the old computer and set it up, 30 minutes for boot up, 30 min for internet access and 10 min to install update program. Thats almost 3 1/2 hours all for a 30 sec flash update! Geeze laweeze! Amazing how we spend our time now a days! Sorry rant over!:doh:

Right off their Forum:

The current firmware for the RK2 is v2.5.
This firmware update gives the RK2 the ability to send data to your PC for use by our free http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_product_info.php?part_number=36-0005-001"><span style="color: #800080">myReef</span></a> software. If you are running v2.1 and do not intend to interface your RK2 with your PC you do not need to update your RK2.
NOTE: The RK2s communication is single directional and you can not program or control the RK2 via the PC. For more information about myReef, click on the link above.

Back