RO/DI Auto Shut Off

dvara78

Market
Reaction score
At the moment when I need RO water I have to go down to the basement and turn the tap on etc etc AND WAIT !

I'd like to Automate the entire process so there's a water container that holds water for me until I need it.

So simply put - what do i need to do so the water keeps flowing until that holding container is full and then stops. I'd like it to begin refilling automaticaly when water is used.

Kinda like an ATO -

I hope this all makes sense :confused2:

I'm certainly not the expert but it sounds like you just need a float valve in your collection container. This assumes that your RODI has an automatic shut off valve already. Of course I wouldn't trust the float valve by itself. If it fails your system will continue to fill/overflow your container until you catch the problem. I believe people use mutlitple switches and/or timers to help ensure the system doesn't overflow.

I don't have an auto shut off valve on the RO/DI at the moment. The RO/DI water inlet tube is connect to a copper pipe via one of those basic gizmos that clamps on to the copper pipe and puntures a hole in it as you screw down.

Looks like I might need some additional parts....

You will need some more parts. For the simplest system you will need http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html">this</a> kit. That will make your system work as you described. I would advise against that though. When you take 1 gallon out for top off the RO would then make 1 gallon of clean water, but not as clean as it could be. ROs are most efficient after a few gallons have been through them. I would suggest the kit and then turn the RO off until you use most of the water in the reservoir. Then you can turn your RO on and walk away, it fills up and shuts off. The next time you need RO water just turn off the saddle valve(read that as basic gizmos that clamps on to the copper pipe and punctures a hole in it) use the clean water until its low and repeat.

Jason

Rockdog nailed it. The kit he linked to is exactly what you need and I agree with his advise of not leaving it on all the time. This will make your system run more effictively and reduce the risk associated with the float valve failing. Remember, it's not IF the valve will fail, it's WHEN. All mechanical parts fail at some point.

Thanks you everyone for the advice help....anyone know where I can get a large water storage container?

Also if I store 50 gallons of water and only use 5 gallons a week - does there need to be movement in the storage container to keep the water from going bad ? or will it stay useable without needing to added a pump for movement or at min an airstone.

Cheers,

Dil

Dvara78;620087 wrote: Thanks you everyone for the advice help....anyone know where I can get a large water storage container?

Also if I store 50 gallons of water and only use 5 gallons a week - does there need to be movement in the storage container to keep the water from going bad ? or will it stay useable without needing to added a pump for movement or at min an airstone.

Cheers,

Dil

I keep 20G on hand at a time and don't do anything to the RO water. I notice a bit of slime in the container, but it hasn't given me any trouble.

I use a rubbermaid trash can (large grey one from HD). Depending on your needs, I've seen some other threads were people also use large storage containers from places like Tractor Supply.

I use the Tractor Supply tank mentioned above. It's 35g but has legs so it lays on it's side. I raised it up and built a bench over the top of it. That keeps it out of the way but still easy to get at. I empty it and take it out once a year for a good cleaning. It's covered up and cool year round and it's one of the best upgrades I've made. Before I used the wheeled Rubbermaid containers but was always moving/pushing them out of the way.

My top off container is also a brute. My RO unit is hooked up directly to a clothes washer connection in my basement. I hooked up one of those garden hose water timer thingys (a nice digital one). I have it set to come on daily for a set length of time and keeps my brute filled just right.

Somehow this feels safer to me than the shut off kit. But thats just me.

I use a Brute, I just opted for the fancy blue cause I could. I also built a shelf to elevate mine. I mentioned how i fill it earlier. To use the water I installed a bulkhead in the bottom and a ball valve. Turn the valve top-off vat fills... as much or as little as you want.

Jason

Back