Ro/di placement question

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
I would like to mount my filtration system about 3 feet below the waterline of my fresh water storage tank. Is there any issue with this? Maybe put a Merlock check valve in the supply line?
I was thinking of terminating the supply line with a gravity feed valve at the top on the side of the tank. The kind with the float switch that closes off when the water level rises. see picture below, I was thinking of mounting my filters about 3 feet higher than they are sitting in the picture.
My plan is to use a valve to turn on the make up water and turn it off when the tank is full, so the float valve is mostly in case I forget to turn it off so I won't flood the place like I have a habit of doing.
1049879=63861-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441381837.577668.jpg
>
1049879=63861-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441381837.577668.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441381837.577668.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Should work fine. When I had my shop I had the RO/DI unit in the restroom and a whole network of tubing to the fresh water vat, and to every sump in the place, each with a float valve. Water would run to whichever tube had an open float valve, and when everything was full, and valves were closed, the auto shut-off would stop the unit from producing (including producing waste water).

I'm guessing that your upper barrel is for fresh, and you'll run some into the lower barrel to make saltwater, yes? If so, that's how I had mine set up, I just had different (larger) vessels.

Jenn

Yes Jenn, I knew I could count on you for this one ;)
almost just pm'd you :)

Yes, top will be fresh and bottom salt. going to have a dedicated line from fresh to salt, and salt to tank. I'm going to have a separate tee off the fresh over to the sink to rinse stuff like carbon, gfo, etc.

I have one more question though, I don't know what it's called but I want to make a tattletale line for the upper barrel so I can see the water level in the barrel. If i connect 1/4" clear tubing to the piping under the barrel before it hits any valves, and then run the line back up to the top of the barrel, i'll be able to see the water height in the barrel.

However, for the life of me I can't find a fitting to get a 1/4" port onto 3/4" tubing. I could transition to pvc if I had to, but was planning on running tubing to make things easier. Ideas? I was thinking a Tee with the side leg somehow reducing down to 1/4" somehow.

Not sure I follow... you want to see how much water is in the upper barrel? Can you shine a light into the top of the barrel so you can see the contrast in colour of the barrel where the water is versus where it isn't? (If that makes sense...)

I think I know what you mean -having a clear tube run the length of the barrel, top to bottom, and the water level in the tube matches the level in the barrel, yes?

My vat was white/opaque so we could see where the water level was, through the plastic.

Jenn

Back