RO/DI purchase. Need your expert advice!!!

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">In trying to educate myself on RO/DI, I have again reached a crossroad and need the guidance of the experts.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I have selected the Kent RO/DI as my target purchase. This is listed as one of the best units available on many reviews. Looks like I can pick up a used MAX50 4stage for about $125.00. The one I am looking at they guy <u>“says”</u> he had had in operation for only about 8 months…and I should be good with out any filter replacements for at least 6 months. I am having a hard time determining the cost of these replacement filters. I have seen where this could be as much as $100.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I can get a new MAX50 4stage for under $250.00.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Obviously, I don’t want to spend $125.00 now…then another $100.00 in 6 months…If I can get a new one now for $250.00.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Is the cost of these replacement filters really that much? I know it varies…but about how often do they have to be changed?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks as always…for your help.</span></span>

No, the replacement filters are not that much... You are looking at about $20 in filters. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filters-&-Systems-Reverse-Osmosis-Filters/c9_13/p57/4-Stage-RO-Replacement-Filter-Kit/product_info.html">See Here</a>

Now, I would look for a 5 or 6 stage RO unit if I were you. The extra DI unit will serve you well in the future. Check e-bay, you should be able to find one for close to what you are looking to pay.

IMHO, The unit is not the important part, it just holds the filters. It is the filters where you are going to want to replace them sooner from an e-bay unit. But at $20 to get good filters, it is still worth the haul.

Filters need to be changed when they do not read <2TDs any more. Most filters will last you about 6 months to a year depending on how often you are making water and what size membrain you are running (how many gal/day).

So I dont need to be too concerned about brand? Just keep up with the filter changes?

If thats the case...I will keep shopping.

Thanks!!

fancyfish;161756 wrote: got mine 3 years ago from melevsreef.com 4 stage 100 gpd works great.

I ordered my 5 stage from Melev too. Its a quality unit and well put together, and the customer service in fantastic. You should really check him out.

Cool! I didnt realize he sold Ro units. I wil check it out!
thanks!

If the unit is only 8 months old You should only need the filters changed NOT the menbrane.Membranes can last as long as 2-3 years depending on You incoming water source.Like xyz said You can replace the actual filters for like $20.An inline TDS meter is a good investment also.They run about 30-40$.It will basically let You know when You need to replace the filters by monitoring the tds.I think at that price i would buy the unit from that guy and if it doesnt have DI just buy an extra housing and add it.

I purchased a dual-membrane "water saver" unit from "The filter guys"
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/">http://www.thefilterguys.biz/</a>

It came already assembled, with all the lines color-coded and labeled with tags, and the DI unit is separate from the filters/membrane housing, which means it fits easily under my kitchen sink.

It was very easy to setup, and within an hour of getting it I was up and running with the thing -- I would definitely recommend it. Plus with the dual membranes from the "water saver" unit I get a lot of water pretty quickly from it, so that is a real plus. I would definitely recommend them.

If you buy a used system, make sure you understand how old all the filters are.

Also ask how long the system set unused before you bought it.

Russ

Make sure the membrane has not dryed out! im not sure what type of membrane Kent uses. you want to make sure it has a 96% + rejection TFC membrane.

Im a big fan of the Water Saver Unit from Thefilterguy.biz Also. It can save you alot of water = $ and prefilters = $ and help out with conservation of water. if you use a lot of water it can really ad up.

Back