RO/DI question for the good observer.

ouling

Market
Reaction score
Well today I got bored and started to look at my RO/DI unit. The thing that bothered me a bit is that the DI cartridge seems to be leaking something on the side. Ok this is what I mean. The water should go through the DI unit and come out ther other side. But mine actually slips out to the side, and drools down the wall of the DI cartridge. Is that normal or no?

Uh, that doesn't sound normal. So water is leaking from the unit onto the floor?

If you mean kinda running down the inside of the canister, that is normal. Many RO units have the feed for each chamber at the top, and the water goes through the filtration media to the center of the canister and on to the next. Since the DI isnt on the smae pressure as the rest of the system (its after the TFC membrane), it is most obvious as the slow "leak".

Mine streams on the inside as well. It is typical behavoir. If it is on the outside, the canister is busted and needs to be replaced.

The water in those canisters comes from the outsides to the center and leaves through the center hole in the top. The DI cartridge also only flows water from bottom to top which should be evidenced by the fact that your resin changes color starting at the bottom. The other filters have water flow in from all sides towards their center and then out through the top.

George;51861 wrote: The water in those canisters comes from the outsides to the center and leaves through the center hole in the top. The DI cartridge also only flows water from bottom to top which should be evidenced by the fact that your resin changes color starting at the bottom. The other filters have water flow in from all sides towards their center and then out through the top.

That's right. Some jargon for you - the flow pattern you see in your sediment housing, or your carbon block housing is "radial." Water filles the space between the filer and te housing and moves from all directions towards the center of the filter.

What you see with a GAC cartridge or a DI cartridge is "axial" flow - from one end toward the other. In configuring a system axial flow cartridges are typically used where contact time is important.

Russ

Back