RO/DI Question!

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I want to get my RO/DI filter closer to the sump in the basement and will need to run either the waste line or the RO/DI out line up a couple of feet across the room and then down. Is there enough water pressue to do this without impacting the efficiency of the filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That would depend on what pressure you have coming out of your water supply. Each house will be different.

Skriz;195021 wrote: That would depend on what pressure you have coming out of your water supply. Each house will be different.

dawgdude;195029 wrote: If you have good water pressure then you should be ok. If not the filter guys have gauges and booster pumps. I would just run a temp line and see how it does with the pressure. RO water line is so cheap at Home Depot.

I have about 60psi when nothing else is running water and a little less otherwise. I was worried that running the ro/di output straight up for a few feet then across the room and down would have an impact on the efficiency which I have no real way of measuring.

yeah, that's quite a bit of head pressure that you're adding. I would think it will definately have an adverse affect on efficiency.

ares;195060 wrote: on the waste line, does it matter? it would on the output line, but the waste has the restrictor on it already, bit more backpressure shouldnt change much...

After some very unscientific testing with a lot of room for error, I think you may be correct and if I have to have one of the lines go up a few feet it should be the waste line.

I timed how long it would take to fill a pint measuring cup from both the output line and the waste line under three operating conditions:

With both lines going down it took 1:49.65 for the output and 50.65 for the waste.

With only the output raised about 30" it took 2:05.89 for the output and 52.39 for the waste.

With only the waste raised about 30" it took 1:49.03 for the output and 53.79 for the waste.

So it would appear that raising the output line would have a significant impact but raising the waste line may be insignificant.

Back