RO/DI unit making water much faster than it should...what's wrong?

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
I just hooked up my new 100gpd RO/DI unit, turned on
the water, and everything seemed to be working as it should (no leaks).

However, my unit is spitting out water at a really fast rate...so fast, in fact, that I knew it couldn't be right -- so I got a gallon jug and timed it, and it filled up the jug in 90 seconds. I did the math, and that's 960 gallons per day.

I checked every connection, and everything looks fine. What's the
deal? Any clue?

Might be a stupid question but you sure you are measuring your RO water output and not your waste water output?

Yeah I'm measuring the "good" water line. The drain line has a "FLOW 800" 100gpd flow restrictor in the line, and it just drips when the water is turned on. The "good" side flows like a river.

Here's a pic:

RODI.jpg
alt="" />

I wonder if maybe the drain tube is connected to the wrong outlet of the RO membrane? Just guessing.....the unit came preassembled, I haven't moved any of the connections.

Yup... ender is right.
Switch the yellow and black lines on the left side of the RO membrane.

From what I've seen most RO units work on a 3-1 to 4-1 ratio of waste water to product water. So just check to see which line is putting out more water. Also check your water pressure it should between 60-80 psi.

It does look like it is switched.....
If you have a TDS meter you can do a quick test on the TDS and confirm it....
just movethe yellow line to where the black and viceversa... and do it as quick as you can, cause you will exhaust the DI resin much faster if you let the waste water flow thorugh it...

I looked a picture of Melev's RO/DI unit on his website, and sure enough, his drain line is the outlet closest to the back of the unit. You guys are a life saver, I've been about to pull my hair out tonight trying to figure out whats wrong with this stupid thing!

Anyway....I switched the lines, and now it appears to be working flawlessly. The unit has a hiss as its operating, the drain line has
a slow continuous flow, and the good water line just drips. I'm timing
another gallon jug, and so far it's been 6 minutes and there's only
about an inch of water in the jug.

And if anyone is curious....here's a link to my new tank build, with pictures and writeups and such.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1213499&perpage=25&pagenumber=1">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1213499&perpage=25&pagenumber=1</a>

Thanks again!!

Nice cabinet... and accessories.... I need to make a note to contact you when I start to finish my basement...

very nice stand and tank! So your RODI unit wastes 3g for every 1g produced? Can you collect the waste water and maybe use it for say watering plants or something.

If you want a higher RO water output you need higher pressure on the inlet. You can buy a booster pump, that is what I do.

So a booster pump would reduce waste output and give you more RO production? Honestly my concern is wasting the "waste" water with the current drought going on. I am just now setting up my RODI unit and would like to conserve if possible.

Stroid;100589 wrote: So a booster pump would reduce waste output and give you more RO production? Honestly my concern is wasting the "waste" water with the current drought going on. I am just now setting up my RODI unit and would like to conserve if possible.

I run my 'waste' water into flower beds outside (because my unit is in the basement the 'waste' water runs into the condensate pump for the furnace which pumps it--along with the air conditioning condensate--outside to water the beds.) It could as easily go into any sort of holding tank to be used for any other purpose, flushing toilets, laundry, etc. but I haven't invested in any plumbing to support those uses.

Geehh;100623 wrote: I run my 'waste' water into flower beds outside (because my unit is in the basement the 'waste' water runs into the condensate pump for the furnace which pumps it--along with the air conditioning condensate--outside to water the beds.) It could as easily go into any sort of holding tank to be used for any other purpose, flushing toilets, laundry, etc. but I haven't invested in any plumbing to support those uses.
This is what I had in mind so the water doesnt go to waste. I will have to probably get more tubing lol thanks

Back