RO pressure issue heads up.

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
hey all, yes I know I've been M.I.A. for a while, behind on work and trying to get caught up.:)
first, I got back from vacation and noticed my pressure gauge on the RO unit was reading 30 psi, after testing the supply pressure which was 75psi, I ordered all new membrane and pre filters.
(in the mean time after 3 years I had to buy RO water for top off, thanks creation)
I installed all new filters and still the same problem, pulled everything apart and cleaned it all to make sure I didn't have a clog in any of the tubes or canisters, all said and done, same problem.
scratching my head and pull out what hair I have left, last two part to check the flow restrictor which was fine then bypassed the auto shut off valve and wa-la!!!!!!:doh:
it was the auto shut off, so I opened it up (like I do everything) the rubber diaphragm within the valve had a little rip :wow2: in it which was bleeding water over to the production line and causing low pressure to the membrane input, new one in the mail and problem will be fixed.:thumbs:
this is just a little info. to look out for on any RO unit issues you may have now or in the future.

*stay tuned for two more issues this weekend.....leaky chiller and lost apex web communication.
(sun is shining but its raining on me right now..lol):mad2::D

I had the same problem before, waste line water wouldn't stop, for me the company that I bought the ro unit (located in Alpharetta I believe hehe :O ) quickly sent me a new ASOV, since I'm not using water regularly I haven't installed yet, all I do is run the system every week for an hour or so, I probably won't get the maximum from the membrane/filters life but oh well.
Good catch, when I have that problem I didn't have a PSI gauge in my system so all I was doing was checking for leaks and the waste line was the first culprit

That IS a good catch. The ASV usually gets the blame but it's rarely the actual cause of problems.

If you hadn't taken it apart, you'd have never known for sure. Thanks for sharing this - I'm sure it will save others from a lot of aggravation. At the very least taking it apart would have ruled it out if it had been intact.

Jenn

JennM;1043281 wrote: That IS a good catch. The ASV usually gets the blame but it's rarely the actual cause of problems.

If you hadn't taken it apart, you'd have never known for sure. Thanks for sharing this - I'm sure it will save others from a lot of aggravation. At the very least taking it apart would have ruled it out if it had been intact.

Jenn

I figure the best thing to do before taking it apart would be just to bypass the asv first and if that solves the problem then open it up to see what when bad, that's what I did.

True that - but opening it up to find out WHY is very enlightening.

Back