RO Unit issues. Need input Pls

reef insane

Market
Reaction score
I've got a 7 stage system that I built myself. I thought is was running perfect till I got my water bill. Holly crap. Well I switched out auto shut off valve. When my RO sump fills up and the float switch is off the waste water keeps running and the auto shut off valve vibrates. .???? I called BRS and they think it's air in the auto shut off valve. That's not the case. I can't figure it out.
I'm running at 50psi. No booster pump. The unit is hooked up correctly. Any suggestions ??

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pic's would help.
Where in line is the auto shut off?
It's kind of hard to say since you built it! What are the 7 stages?

It sounds like a faulty auto shutoff valve. I run a 8 stage (2 sediment filters, 2 carbon blocks, dual membranes and 2 DI cartridges and I get about 240 gallons a day in production @ 75psi. If you want to PM me I'll send you my contact info and I'll see how I can help.

Bcavalli;1032233 wrote: It sounds like a faulty auto shutoff valve. I run a 8 stage (2 sediment filters, 2 carbon blocks, dual membranes and 2 DI cartridges and I get about 240 gallons a day in production @ 75psi. If you want to PM me I'll send you my contact info and I'll see how I can help.

So sweet!
(8 stage, I'm impressed!)

The 7 stages are 1 sediment, 2 carbon, 2 membranes, and 2 DI . I've checked the install several times and it's hooked up correctly. I've had plenty experience putting these things together just never ran into a vibrating auto shut off valve. It's the second valve I've purchased so I know it's not that. I'll attach a pic in the morning.

Thank you Camellia. I'll PM u in the morning.

Check your float valve, pull the tube from it and pinch the line, let the pressure build to shut the auto shut off valve off and see what happens.

Could it be a lack of pressure? 50 lbs may not be enough to hold the solenoid shut.

Yeah my only guess would be that it isn't enough pressure to keep it closed shut like Rich has mentioned. Most 7+ stage units we have setup use a booster pump or are running near 75psi.

RO-Units should run off 50psi fine... but I have found that all ROs run much better at 60+ psi. Not fully sure if this is your issue, but if you have it setup correctly it would be my only suggestion at this point.

This is what I do for a living now :)

Your pressure is too low. Many people try to blame those Auto-Shutoff valves, but there isn't much that can go wrong with them EXCEPT low pressure. Boost it with a booster pump and the ASV will work properly.

Alternatively, if you're looking to get more product water and reduce waste, you can also look into a Permeate Pump, which will push waste water back through the membrane again, increasing the pressure in the system, and reducing the amount of waste water. These are non-electric. http://www.h2odistributors.com/erp-1000.asp">http://www.h2odistributors.com/erp-1000.asp</a>

Jenn

Thank you all for the input. The pressure maybe the issue considering the number of stages. I'm going to bypass a couple stages and see if it changes anything. I will look into a booster pump and permeate pump. Thank you ARC for the great suggestions.
I will post my results.

JennM;1032603 wrote: This is what I do for a living now :)

Alternatively, if you're looking to get more product water and reduce waste, you can also look into a Permeate Pump, which will push waste water back through the membrane again, increasing the pressure in the system, and reducing the amount of waste water. These are non-electric. http://www.h2odistributors.com/erp-1000.asp">http://www.h2odistributors.com/erp-1000.asp</a>

Jenn[/QUOTE]

Jen... Will the Permeate Pump create enough system pressure to hold the ASV closed, or is it just for efficiency?

For clarity - I'd do either booster OR permeate pump, not both.

I've been told that it helps with the pressure as well as reducing waste.

65 PSI is the number to shoot for. Almost every problem with RO units comes back to pressure. The remaining issues usually come down to dirty cartridges.

Jenn

Back