RO water question

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
I would like to know after I make my RO water and leave it in a closed container,how long can I keep it before I use it? It takes along time to make this by the gallon and I need to make it days or a week in advance to do my water changes and top offs, but I don't want to use bad or spoiled water.Any advise will be a big help.Thanks

just put a powerhead in the container to keep some movement going inside the bucket.......why not just go to an LFS and buy it by the gallon?

The only way it will spoil is if something gets into it to spoil it.

If you already have the RO unit, it's cheaper to make the water at home and you don't have to drive to the LFS (and buy their beautiful acans or other expensive item that you see there and just have to have)

I think it's a really good practice to make the water ahead of time and store it -- that way if you need to do a water change you have the water already. A lot of times what people do is get a large trashcan from Home Depot and have a bunch of water sitting in it "just in case". Won't hurt to have ready-made SW sitting around either, IMO. Sometimes you realize you need to do a water change in a hurry.

We use a 45 gal rubbermaid container with a lid. There is a power head in there keeping the water moving and the hose outside feeds the RO unit. It will keep for quite a while as long as you keep it moving and keep a lid on it to prevent contaminates.

To correct my wife there... We have two tubs one inside the other... This provides extra support to the rubbermade tub when it is full. If not the sides on normal tubs bow a bit and you can bot get the lid on. Brute trashcans work well too.

Back