Rock Addition?

putemup

Market
Reaction score
I currently have a 75 reef with about 80 lbs of live rock all kinds of corals (both hard and soft) and fish. The current tank has been going for several years. I would like to add another 20-35 lbs of cured live rock to the system. My question is, if I add more rock will this cause the tank to begin to cycle again and kill my corals and/or fish. What if any repercussions should I expect from the addition of more rock?

If you add live rock, the die off will cause a cycle in the tank, but if you use something like the dry rock sold by brs, you might reduce the cycle, or prevent one from happening.

Your best bet is to "cycle" the rock separately in like a brute trash can. Then after its gone through the process add it to the tank. You could throw some seachem stability in the tank as well with the newly added rock.

You say cured rock? Are you getting it locally? If you can keep it in water and it's not a super long transport, there should be no die off, and the only concern should be hitchhikers.
If you can't guarantee that, you can cure it separately before adding to tank.

Shrimpy Brains;1072855 wrote: You say cured rock? Are you getting it locally? If you can keep it in water and it's not a super long transport, there should be no die off, and the only concern should be hitchhikers.
If you can't guarantee that, you can cure it separately before adding to tank.

+1

Just not sure what you are calling "cured rock"?

Thanks for the advice.

After reading the suggestions I'm most likely going to slowly add dried rock in an effort greatly reduce the chance of another cycle and completely eliminate the chances of any hitchhikers.

Back